staggering floor tile 12X12 [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : staggering floor tile 12X12

hunt4hobbie
01-26-2003, 02:17 PM
What is the best way to layout a floor like this? It starts at the front door of the house and goes down the hallway to a bathroom and into the kitchen on the other side of the hallway and follows arround to the back door into the laundry room. All connected the hallway is 30 feet long and borders the living room.

Sponsored Links

Jason_Butler
01-26-2003, 04:24 PM
I'm not following your scenario completely but....

#1. Pick a focal point. Sounds like the hallway is the frist thing people see when they enter your house. In this case choose a layout that works well for the hallway.

If you have a 36" wide hallway and you want to use 12" tiles, be careful !!! The tendency to use 3 full 12's may be a problem if the walls bow ( as many do). This scenario could leave you with excessive gaps on one side of the hallway.

#2. Once the hallway is "squared away", see how the adjoining rooms will work. This is alot of trial and error. Anyone can spread out some mud and drop a tile; the craftsmanship comes in the layout.

Snap some control lines and adjust as necessary.

When you say staggering...do you mean running bond ?? (AKA the brick pattern)

Jason

hunt4hobbie
01-28-2003, 09:31 PM
jason, It was a brick pattern I layed it out yesterday,starting in the hallway it looks great after about four hours of chaulking lines to make sure everything layed out right. I have about 100 SF left to lay out of 550.

thank you for the info
Mike