hardibacker / gypsum [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : hardibacker / gypsum

scotty
01-26-2003, 11:08 AM
When joining 1/2 in. hardibacker and regular 1/2 in. gypsum wallboard in an area that requires an undetectable seam, what joint compound should you use? Normally, each requires a different seam compound. Any thoughts. Thanks Scotty

Sponsored Links

davem
01-26-2003, 11:26 AM
I'd say cover the seam with tile! ;)

scotty
01-26-2003, 12:03 PM
Davem,
I wish I could, that would solve my problem. By the way, I saw your thread on building your shower. You did an incredible job. Thats a hall of fame project. Scotty

tileguytodd
01-26-2003, 01:02 PM
I would use Sheetrock Mud.Dang stuff sticks to everything.Even dusty concrete floors. If ya dont believe me come to a commercial job with me sometime. I'll let you operate the scraper ;)

cx
01-26-2003, 01:15 PM
I'd use one of the curing types of sheetrock mud and paper tape to cover the joint, Scotty. It's stronger than the regular drying type mud, but more difficult to sand. I'd finish the joint with regular mud - as many coats as it takes for the finish you want.

I think we're all assuming this joint is outside the shower, eh? :)

TryinHard
01-26-2003, 04:06 PM
I assume you will be painting the wallboard and the seam and the area will not be getting wet? If so, I would recommend treating the seam just as you would any sheetrock seam. Apply wallboard tape and joint compound and finish to a smooth surface. If you want more strenght, use the fiberglas tape. Joint compound stick well to CBU. I had the same situation and my sheetrocker crew did it that way. It looks great.

scotty
01-26-2003, 05:22 PM
Thanks Everyone,
Yes its outside the shower area, moisture won't be a problem.
Now I can get busy, looks like I've run out of excuses for breaktime. Scotty:D

davem
01-26-2003, 07:29 PM
Have fun Scotty, and post pictures if you can. :)

John Nelson
01-26-2003, 08:37 PM
I agree with cx. Drywallers agree that paper tape makes a stronger joint than fiberglass mesh. It's not intuitive, since paper tape tears so much more easily.