Still wet mastic after two months [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Still wet mastic after two months

voc
01-25-2003, 12:18 PM
Hi again guys!

Well, you gave us great advice about the falling soapdish...when it fell again after the contractor remounted it, we went and got thin set and put it up ourselves. It's tight and perfect.

Now we have discovered more wet mastic behind the bottom row of tiles along the tub. We realized that the grout along the bottom wasn't thick enough...didn't come all the way out to the edge of the tile, and was beginning to crack. So, today my husband dug out the grout, and discovered, after a couple of the tiles fell off, that the mastic was still soft and wet . Bad words in that bathroom for a few minutes!

Now he wants to know what his best plan of action should be. He will use thin set to remount these tiles...obviously. But what about the possibility of more tiles higher up with this same problem? A few more sound like they might not be tight. How long should one wait for mastic to dry? The tiles that fell off today when he was taking out the grout: the mastic was on the wall, only bits and pieces of mastic were stuck to the tile. Although some of them did have small dried chunks of dried mastic on them. Do we need to remove everything that sounds loose, or is there a chance that the mastic will dry in this lifetime?

Thanks for your help and for being there....voc

Sponsored Links

cx
01-25-2003, 12:38 PM
Uh, oh. :(

Will it "dry in this lifetime?" How old are y'all? Do you plan to use the shower? ;)

You ain't gonna get any good news, methinks, but some real tile guys will be along soon.

Tell us some of the bad words. :p

tileguytodd
01-25-2003, 01:12 PM
It sounds as if Mastic was used and not enough dry time was allowed before grouting.Also,Along the tub should be caulk ,not grout. Water has been wicking up into the lower courses of tile and the mastic has been re emulsified. Remove the tiles, let everything dry out. Reset lower tiles with thinset.Wait 16 hours minimum.Regrout area and caulk the area where the tile meets the tub. As far as the rest of your tub area goes, if you can keep moisture from permeating the tile you should get many years of service from the tile. (just not as many as if it had been set in thinset and done properly.)Keep an eye on that caulk bead along the tub and replace it if it cracks or shrinks away from tile or tub. Keep this area sealed you should be fine.
Hint-a good grout sealer wouldnt hurt for the rest of the grouted areas.!!

John Bridge
01-25-2003, 02:09 PM
Hi Megowen,

I'm with CX. I'm wondering if hubby knows any words I don't know. :)

I hate m- m- mastic.

voc
01-25-2003, 02:26 PM
Thanks for answering. No - I'm sure that you are all fluent in the same language. Although, being an English teacher in the outside world, he sometimes puts them together quite creatively, and uses a few epithets from Shakespeare's bawdy now and then. However, if I shared them with you, I am sure you would boot me from your site...and I like you guys!

tileguytodd
01-25-2003, 02:55 PM
Well I for 1 am not sure if i use those same words, I just know that all the other trades run when i start using them and have a hammer in my hand :D :D :D

Everybody loves to avoid a Melee' ;)

cx
01-25-2003, 08:19 PM
Hey, Megowen (tres interesting name, a story goes with it?), some of us is big fans of The Bard (well, me and John anyway, on accounta we's the only ones here knows good English), so have your DH lay some of that creative stuff on us.

Go over to the Mud Box forum first, though, JB don't allow no playin' rough or talkin' dirty on this forum. :p