shower curb [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : shower curb

rancher
01-25-2003, 07:33 AM
i already did my test on my shower liner no leaks yea haaaaa.. now i am ready to do the curb. i saw that you said to use kiln dried. well i already have 3 2x4 srewed and glued that are preasure treated.i am afraid to try to rip out the pt. what would you do leave it or try to replace. i was thinking of letting it dry with a heater im in no rush

Sponsored Links

cx
01-25-2003, 10:04 AM
Welcome aboard, Rancher, I guess we can use that for a first name? :)

Problem with the treated wood for curbs is that it is gonna shrink, which is not a good thing. Before the big guys tell you to tear it out, measure the width of the 2x4 (the alleged 4" dimension) and tell us what you got. Measure accurately to the sixteenth of an inch. If your boards are in the 3 5/8ths inch range, you'll need to wait many sleeps before they're done shrinking. If, on the other hand, they are closer to 3 1/2 inches, you may not have much of a shrinkage problem.

But the big question is: You got you a Sawzall? :p

rancher
01-25-2003, 10:28 AM
i do have a sawzall.i am worried about hitting the pan i guess i can pull it back. my thinking is all wood shrinks my doug fir floor joist shrunk to 9 3/8. i am wondering if it reaaly worth it i always believe two heads are better than one

cx
01-25-2003, 11:59 AM
Mmmmm, those 2x10 joists aughta be only about 9 1/4 if they're typical, Rancher. In today's wood, if they're over 9 inches fully dry, you gotta use'em anyway. :(

Drill a hole a half inch or larger down into that curb and see if you hit water (serious, here). New treated wood, unless it is marked as KDAT (Kiln Dried After Treatment), will have visible moisture in the center - you can frequently squeeze water from the shavings. If your plates are that wet, I'd cut'em out. If they're not, and they measure close to 3 1/2 inches wide, I'd probably leave'em. But I might also get some flack over that part of the advice. :)

John Bridge
01-25-2003, 02:03 PM
Hi Rancher, Welcome. :)

The problem might not be the shrinkage, but many times when that stuff shrinks, it twists and turns. Peel the liner back out of the way and get the stuff out of there.

Where's the ranch?:monster:

[My grandson wanted to see the monster smiley]