Polyurethane over new tile? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Polyurethane over new tile?

gpk101
01-23-2003, 02:12 PM
Hi, guys!
Gordon from Atl here again to ask a totally off-the-wall question. I am installing some matte finish tile for a client who, in the midst of the job, decides that he would prefer it "shinier". "Can you just paint some polyurethane on top when you get it done"? was the question that came my way-and totally dumbfounded me. Never heard of such, and initially recommeded against it, but told him I'd check with my friendly tile gurus whose grey matter is much better suited to ponder such. Any input? Many thanks!

Sponsored Links

kemguru
01-23-2003, 02:24 PM
What kind of tile is it?

There are some commercial systems, mainly used in restrooms, where trained techs come in and topcoat. It is more for cleanliness, but also looks great. But it does have to be maintained, just like any sealed surface.

Stick to your guns on your recommendation. Its just more hassle for your client. But if they insist, it can be done.

Let us know;)

Best

Tim

gpk101
01-28-2003, 12:17 AM
It's just regular ceramic tile. I believe the mfr. is Ceramica daVinci. What's the stuff they use for bathrooms and such, and where do I get it? I qualify as an "untrained tech"! The client REALLY thinks this is going to be just the ticket! Many thanks in advance to you, kemguru- I worship at your feet!:bow:
;)

tileguytodd
01-28-2003, 01:17 AM
Another disciple Tim!! ;)
dont try walkin on water just yet though :D

John Bridge
01-28-2003, 06:10 PM
Hi Gordon,

I'm one of Tim's disciples, too, but I don't think it's a good idea. I don't think it will hold up. ;)

Go ahead and walk on water, Tim. I wanna see this. :D

kemguru
01-28-2003, 10:38 PM
Disciples....walk on water:wtf:
I am lucky to walk across the room after I sit in front of this computer for so long.

I just might have to change my name;)

I still dont like coating ceramic, I wont reccomend it, it just creates more maintenance for the homeowner, not much more, but more nonetheless. They will have to clean and reseal every year or two, depending on traffic, kinda like turning a ceramic floor into a natural stone floor.

But.....since they insist

I will email the pros, this is top-secret stuff here:shades:

kemguru
01-28-2003, 11:29 PM
Check your emails:shades:

John Bridge
01-29-2003, 07:18 PM
Tim, I downloaded it into my private email file and stamped it confidential, but I haven't had time to review it yet. This weekend. :)

gpk101
01-31-2003, 08:51 PM
HEY!!!! WIATAMINUTE!!!!! DON'T I GET TO KNOW THE BIG SUPER-SECRET.......I <DID> ASK THE QUESTION, AFTER ALL, GUYS!!!! I'm all a-flutter with antici...................pation! :drool2:
If you want, email me @ gpk101@aol.com
Many thanks once again!:D

kemguru
01-31-2003, 11:01 PM
Hey now:p

You were the first one I mailed it to, because you did ask the question;)

Here it comes, again, in a Word file

btujague
07-12-2010, 11:00 PM
Would like to know the secret. I have ceramic tile in bathroom and kitchen but the tile in the bathroom keeps looking drab and dirty. Wanted to know if polyurethane would degrade the grout.:scratch::scratch:

cx
07-12-2010, 11:06 PM
Welcome, Beverly. :)

Thread's more than seven years old. The guy with the secret hasn't been on here for more than six of those. :shades:

If you've got a particular project you'd like to ask about, please start you a new thread and give the folks in the Cleaning/Restoration/Sealing forum some specific information and I'm sure someone will try to help. :)