S.o.s. [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : S.o.s.

johnjohn
01-22-2003, 07:56 PM
I recently installed a one piece fiberglass shower unit. I leveled and shimmed it. My old man tiled the floor and he accidently either removed a shim or knocked it in under the unit while tile or grouting the floor. Now, there is about 1/16 inch flex at the threshold of the shower base. what can I do to resolve the problem other than removing floor tile, reshimming and regrouting.

Sponsored Links

Bud Cline
01-22-2003, 08:37 PM
"Your old man"?:(

Can you get some spray foam in there somewhere?

johnjohn
01-22-2003, 08:50 PM
I was told that spray/expanding foam is not a good solution because it will compress under heavy weight and will deteriorate over time.

rj
01-22-2003, 09:06 PM
hey johnjohn....is the space between the tile and the unit grouted?...sounds like it was just done. R.J.

johnjohn
01-22-2003, 09:19 PM
Rj, yes, it was grouted. That was what tipped me off since the grout that butts up to the shower base is cracked. The tile and grout between the tiles are solid.

rj
01-22-2003, 10:01 PM
I'll tell you what I would do....but hang in there you will get more opinions here..
If you are sure the base is moving up and down ? if you are,
I'd saw out the grout between the tile and base and then use a grout bag or a margin trowel to fill the space under the base with thinset, let it set up, then regrout.....but then again 1/16" movement ?

'Course you could just caulk over it all too......
but John wouldn't hear of it 'round dees parts....:D

John Bridge
01-23-2003, 07:29 AM
Well, the joint between tile and a plastic shower base is one of the few that I recommend caulking. :) RJ has a good idea about getting thin set under the edge of the the shower, though.

tileguytodd
01-23-2003, 07:41 AM
Yea, ya gotta calk plastic, everyone knows that, even John ;)

How about a sliver of tile thinsetted in underneath??