Granite over Granite Floor... [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Granite over Granite Floor...

Bakstge
01-22-2003, 03:50 PM
Greetings,
Here is my plan. In the bathroom I have a Granite floor that are 12x12 tiles imbedded in a cement floor. The floor is level but the granite is scratched and the gloss finish is worn off. I have the height to add up to 3/4 of an inch. What I would like to do is install 12x12 directly over this old granite with thinset. Or the other option was to lay down a 1/4 hardibacker with thinset and no screws then granite right over that. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links

e3
01-22-2003, 04:06 PM
If every thing is soild. (well bonded) then yes. Remove soap ,wax,oil,ect. from existing tile surface. Follow thin-set mfg. written directions. tca datail712-02 (pg. 36 2002 )

Bakstge
01-22-2003, 04:24 PM
This sounds good for a direct tile over on the granite, how about a thought on the Hardibacker with just thinset on the old granite and no screws to secure. Is the thinset enough of a bond if this is the route I wanted to go?

Cisco
01-22-2003, 05:34 PM
I would give the floor a good wahsing with TSP and then do a muriatic acid wash to etch the surface of the old granite. You need a good wash first to remove old grim and stuff. If the floor is solid I wouldnt feel the need to install a backerboard.

Cisco...

Dog paws
01-22-2003, 05:39 PM
In addition to using mortar, backerboards need to be mechanically fastened to the subfloor using nails or screws. Don't use a CBU for your situation.

John Bridge
01-22-2003, 07:10 PM
Hi Backstage, Welcome. :)

Clean it, scrub it, take a belt sander to it if you have one. Remove all the dust and use a very high flex modified thin set. Flex Bond is one that is sold at Home Depot.

Bakstge
01-22-2003, 07:21 PM
Excellent,
You guys have gave me the advice I am looking for. I will be applying FLEXBOND to the original granite floor then lay my new granite. After of course, I clean, scrub and sand the old granite.

On another question, do you think I would be ok with following the same seam pattern of the granite or should I offset about an inch in both directions so the seams arent the same as the old granite. Again, Thank you for all your help.

John Bridge
01-22-2003, 07:53 PM
The location of the joints (seams) won't matter. Just achieve the best looking layout possible. :)

kemguru
01-22-2003, 09:13 PM
Why not just have it polished??

Bakstge
01-22-2003, 10:04 PM
Kem,
The entire bathroom has been gutted at this point and the Granite that is on the floor used to be on the walls and shower was the ugliest 80's Scarface looking tile you have ever seen. According to the previous homeowner, the tile "fell of a truck" from a Trump job in the 80's.

kemguru
01-22-2003, 10:16 PM
LOL:D

But restore it and in 5 years you will have that "retro" look that Eurythmics fans would travel the seven seas for:D