Thermal Insulated Board [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Thermal Insulated Board

Floor tiler
01-21-2003, 11:02 AM
am installing “Warmly Yours” electric floor heat in my bathroom. They recommend a Thermal Insulation Board on the floor. Has anyone heard of this backerboard or worked with it before? If so, where can I purchase it?

(They want in on the floor because underneath the floor is a dirt crawl space and they claim it will prevent heat loss)

Sponsored Links

e3
01-21-2003, 11:14 AM
I have not read there dierections but they most likely mean somethimg like styro foam to insulate the floor. Are they calling out for a mud bed over the board?Or do they want it between the joist?(Below the floor)

Floor Tiler
01-21-2003, 11:28 AM
They call for subfloor (1" thick), thin set, thermal insulated board (1/4" thick), electric floor mat, thin set and tile.

e3
01-21-2003, 11:45 AM
Not sure what they are doing-- There are some boards out there that have a foil reflector laminated to them used under mud bed applications- I see it most often with hydronic !

Garrett
01-21-2003, 11:48 AM
Have you called or emailed the company to see what they are talking about?

Floor tiler
01-23-2003, 12:25 PM
I contacted the company and they said the product is Wedi
board which is a foam backerboard with r values. Has anyone used this product?

John Bridge
01-25-2003, 01:41 PM
Hi,

I'm not a radiant heat guy, but wedi is a styrofoam board that is a tile backer. I've not heard of it being installed over thin set. Maybe you could find something on their site.

http://www.wedi.co.uk/flash.htm