durock screw substitute/tile counter project [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : durock screw substitute/tile counter project

KurtG
01-21-2003, 08:29 AM
My granite tile counter project is going slowly (more little kitchen remodel projects popped up).

I have the tiles, 3/4" exterior ply, 1/4" cement backerboard, versabond? thinset, durock tape.

We decided to go with oak trim which I routerd, stained, and have sealed ahead of time.

The Durock screws are 1 1/4" , which seems too long (3/4" ply, 1/4 backerboard), is there any replacement I can use (i.e. deck screws?) I noticed the screws say they are treated.

also can I use the versabond under and over the backerboard?

Sponsored Links

bbcamp
01-21-2003, 08:45 AM
You can use ring-shanked roofing nails. Drywall or deck screws will not countersink themselves enough and will cause problems setting the tile evenly.

Any thinset under the cbu is fine. You don't really need the best, but on a small job, you may not want to buy 2 bags of product.

KurtG
01-21-2003, 09:37 AM
Thanks, I'll go look for the ring shanked nails. I thought I had remembered roofing nails being mentioned here while I was at the store, but I was worried about them popping up so thought I'd ask first. I don't want them popping out the back, Is 3/4" sufficient for 3/4" ply and 1/4" cbu?

I'm going to give a 1-bag go a shot. The price wasn't much different so I thought I'd go with the versabond rather than buying one of each and having 1/2 bag of each sitting in the garage. I have 30 ft^2 under and over and the bag said it would do something quite a bit larger than 60ft^2.

Trying to get all the ducks in a row before I cut my wife off from the sink and I have to do all the dishes downstairs in the laundry sink.

Garrett
01-21-2003, 09:54 AM
Kurt, you can probably use those Durock screws because there will be about 1/8" thinset between the plywood and CBU. Besides, who is going to be looking underneath your kitchen countertops to inspect your workmanship???:shades:

bbcamp
01-21-2003, 09:55 AM
The word I heard is that they want the nails to penetrate the plywood, but I think that may not be necessary for countertops, unless you're going to have a chorus line up there. :D It would be a bad thing to scrape your hand on the nail tips while fishing around the drawers for some kitchen gadget.

Hot dipped galvanized, if you can find them.

Tell her you will be fixin' her sink while she's doin' the dishes, unless it's the other way around...:D

Garrett
01-21-2003, 10:06 AM
bbcamp, I have a question for you. Since this is a stone countertop, what will happen if somebody does decide to git up and walk on that countertop?? Will one layer of 3/4" over 2 feet provide L/720 support?

bbcamp
01-21-2003, 10:22 AM
It probably doesn't meet the L/720 requirement for floors, but the person isn't likely to weigh 300 pounds, either. Also, the plywood is supported along the front and back edges, as well as at the individual cabinet walls and interior crossbraces (on the longer cabinets). If you want a stronger countertop, another sheet of 3/8" plywood couldn't hurt.

The great killer of counter tops is overhang. Can't have much more than 8 or 9 inches without bracing.

Keep a step stool or ladder handy and keep yourself off the countertops! Ain't your momma taught you nothin'! :D

Garrett
01-21-2003, 10:33 AM
bbcamp, I wasn't thinking about myself walking on kitchen countertops......probably would have to be somebody who lives near a lake in Minnesota. You know how it is when they git "cabin-fever.":p

KurtG
01-21-2003, 10:38 AM
I was thinking I was going to have to come up with another use for the trim I just made.

I spent the last three days standing on my laminate/particle board demoing an over cabinet/sink box with recessed lighting, pulling wire, mudding, painting, and hanging a couple pendants above the sink.

My counter walking forays are over.

No overhangs in this project.
Thanks.

bbcamp
01-21-2003, 10:43 AM
Yeah, it's probably a good idea to get all that overhead stuff done before you put down your new granite.

tileguytodd
01-21-2003, 01:13 PM
Hey now Garrett, I resemble that remark :D

John Bridge
01-21-2003, 09:16 PM
But bbcamp, what if two people with a combined weight of over 300 pounds decide to do a little tango on the countertop? :D

tileguytodd
01-21-2003, 09:55 PM
Shoot em both!!
Nobody s gonna tango on my countertops cept me :D