Z strip separaring carpet from tile [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Z strip separaring carpet from tile

eman
01-20-2003, 11:43 PM
I currently have vinyl tile in the kitchen and where the tile meets the carpet in the den I have a brass strip that separates the two areas. I will be installing ceramic on the kitche floor soon and I was wondering if the "Z Strip" as the installer called it is really necessary. I've seen other ceramic fllors that meet carpeting similar to mine if not shorter in height and those floors don't have the strip. Any suggestions on what to do ?

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
01-21-2003, 07:04 AM
Welcome aboard, eman. :)

There is a lengthy thread on this somewhere. :) Basically, I just use a tack strip nailed about a quarter-inch from the edge of the tile. Cut the carpet about a quarter-inch over the tile and tuck it in. I've got a pictures around here somewhere.

John Bridge
01-21-2003, 07:05 AM
One more pic.

tileguytodd
01-21-2003, 07:34 AM
Johns Method is used all over the country.Very few z strips are used anymore up to a tile floor.
As a sidenote,often times a cut tile will end up at a doorway. If you make your cuts and take a rubbing stone to the cut edges then place the tile so the factory edge faces your carpet,your groutline will look very close to normal and you will not have a sharp edge abutting your carpet.(this does not work however with a patterned tile. :) )

bbcamp
01-21-2003, 08:51 AM
How do you clean a tile floor? With mop and bucket? How do you keep the mop water off the carpet if the carpet is butted against the tile? Just curious...

John Bridge
01-21-2003, 08:24 PM
That's a concern, Bob. I tell people to use a painter's shield when they clean the tile. I think the bother is worth it. Looking at a metal strip between the tile and the carpet reminds me of trailer houses. :)

By the way, the tiles against the carpet in the pics have been cut off. It depends on the rug, of course, but the cuts don't usually stick up above the carpet. They will if you don't get the strip nailed close enough. A quarter-inch works well. Rubbing the edges, as Todd mentions, is a must.

kemguru
01-21-2003, 08:37 PM
Painter's shield?

I heard something about Windex a while ago;)

bbcamp
01-22-2003, 06:29 AM
Painter's shield? It's hard enough to get the staff to mop the floors in the first place, now they gotta remember the Painter's Shield!

John Bridge
01-22-2003, 07:30 AM
Okay, use your drywall broad knife, or if you're not in hurry, use a driver's license or a credit card. ;)

Or go ahead and put one of those ugly screw-on peices of metal. :D

tileguytodd
01-22-2003, 07:35 AM
Well the other option of course is to use schluter metal in the appropriate size(3/8"for most 12x12 tiles) Thos will leave a 1/8" thick piece of metal visible. A far cry better than most options.
It goes in with the tile!!!

bmiller
01-22-2003, 07:47 PM
are there any photos of tile finished off with one of the schluter products? Their website is great, but it would help me to see some actual installations

JamesA
01-23-2003, 06:31 AM
Schluter product...

These pictures are from a small project that the folks at the JB Forum helped me with. Use my example at your own risk, however... I noticed that John parked these files in a "junk" directory on his webserver. :)

If I could do this project again I would have ensured that the threshold and Schluter edge are not visible from the outside with the door closed.

Thanks again for your help, guys.

--JamesA

http://johnbridge.com/junk/jamesa3.jpg

http://johnbridge.com/junk/jamesa6.jpg

bbcamp
01-23-2003, 06:52 AM
JamesA,

Don't be offended, it's just Johns temporary storage folder. "Temp" was already taken. :D

Nice work, BTW!

John Bridge
01-23-2003, 07:35 AM
James,

If you could see the entire directory, you would find quite a few of my own pictures in there. Please don't be offended. I named that directory without thinking and now I can't change it, since there are so many urls out there pointing at it.

JamesA
01-25-2003, 10:02 AM
:)

Y'all are great. No offense whatsoever. I'm just happy to be here.

--JamesA

davem
01-25-2003, 01:29 PM
I could change it John. :)

John Bridge
01-25-2003, 02:53 PM
If we can change it without losing all the links, great.

James,

We should have your pics in the album. Please send me your two best shots. I promise they won't end up in the "junk" file. :)

When you email me, use the subject "bath photos." You can't believe the amount of stuff that lands in my mail box.

john@johnbridge.com

phoebe3
05-11-2003, 03:41 PM
John,
How do you get the tack strip nailed to the concrete? Do I have to rent a special kind of gun for that?

Did you do anything to seal the carpet ends (like melting them?

Also, did you use some kind of carpet stretcher?

I'm doing the hallway and there are 4 bedrooms joining it. Eventually, everything will be tile, but it may be a couple of years, depending on my ambition after I finish the first 1,000- sq ft. Anyway, I don't want anything too permanent cause the carpet will come up sooner or later.

Next question's on style: I put a border between the entry tile (existing) and my new tile. I thought I'd put this same border at every doorway so that I can do this one room at a time and if I can't get exactly the same tile, it won't be a problem. In fact, I'm planning on the bathrooms being completely different (similar color - light brown, but smaller tile for traction). Will that make the house look spotty?

Input anyone?

Regards,
Phoebe

John Bridge
05-11-2003, 05:58 PM
Hi Phoebe,

I use a "masher" -- a three-pound maul -- to drive the nails. Some carpet layers use heavy framing hammers. You need something hefty, and you need to hit the nails squarely. Takes a little practice.

Keep your fingers out of the way. ;)