Cutting a vanity sinktop [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Cutting a vanity sinktop

JeffV
01-20-2003, 02:25 PM
Wondering if anyone can suggest the best way to go about cutting a bathroom vanity sinktop. I purchased the sinktop at Lowes (37x19) for my vanity (36x18). Not exactly sure what the material is (soapstone?) but I need to cut the width down a bit...I'm going from wall to wall in a 36.5" wide bathroom, so need to lose a total of 1/2" off of the sink width. Would a simple masonry blade on a circular saw work for this?

Thanks in advance - Jeff

Sponsored Links

tileguytodd
01-20-2003, 02:56 PM
At an Americinn i was tiling the guys had to cut down several of thier 1 piece vanity tops. I believe it was a masonry cut off blade they used to do so.They did clamp a fence to the top to insure straight cutting.
Good Luck!!

drew
01-20-2003, 05:52 PM
I've seen the same thing done in a retirement home we worked on last year.

John Bridge
01-20-2003, 06:05 PM
Hi Jeff, Welcome aboard. :)

I think that's how it's done. I've only installed one in my entire career, and that's how I did it. masony disc in a skil saw. Clamping the board on the top is a good idea. They also put masking tape all over the end they're going to cut off to keep the saw from scratching the surface. You can draw your line on the masking tape.

Bud Cline
01-20-2003, 06:10 PM
Masonry saw blade in a circular saw: Turn it upside down and cut it from the bottom. Fewer chips on the surface and no tape required.:yeah:

John Bridge
01-20-2003, 06:55 PM
Bud, You've done this before. :)

Bud Cline
01-20-2003, 08:15 PM
Yes John I've done this before John.

I doubt that Jeff's product is real soapstone but I have cut all the products on the market at one time or another. I would feel better if Jeff knew exactly what he has purchased though.

JeffV
01-21-2003, 07:15 AM
Thanks for all the great information...I know it was a bit off topic. I will find out exactly what the material is. It's definitely nothing special...just the run-of-the-mill low-end vanity sinktop that is carried by the Lowes, HomeDepot type stores.

Thanks again for all the help - Jeff

John Bridge
01-21-2003, 07:27 AM
Jeff,

It's cultured marble. Bud's way is best.

wd
01-21-2003, 07:38 AM
if it is sheetrock wall cut out the sheetrock ,just enough to slide
top into wall, there is your 1/2"

Stoneguy
01-21-2003, 02:54 PM
If it is "cultured marble" it can be cut very easily. Cultured marble is mostly plastic with maybe a little bit of finely ground calcium carbonate powder.
We cut these things for customers quite frequently on our big wet diamond stone saw. It cuts like butter on our saw.
I've been told by many G.C.'s that they saw them in the field all the time with a fine tooth carbide tip trim style wood blade on a circular saw.
Definately saw upside down. Clamp a fence on for a nice straight cut.

Bud Cline
01-21-2003, 08:11 PM
That's right...cultured marble can also be cut with a carbide saw blade but don't plan on using the blade for anything else until it's sharpened. Been desperate, been there.

The sparks aren't too dangerous.:)

Stoneguy
01-22-2003, 04:31 AM
Bud

It really dulls them up bad?
I've never tryed it myself, I'm just going on what I've been told.
David

John Bridge
01-22-2003, 07:28 AM
David,

There is quite a bit of marble dust, etc. in cultured marble. It will do a number on a carbide blade, as does Hardi-backer, which I've cut that way a number of times.