Shower Curb [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Shower Curb

Hunter Fairchild
01-19-2003, 09:47 AM
First off, congratulations. This is about the finest message board I have seen, not only on tile, but any topic. You give common sense advice for us weekenders, and no BS or bickering. Thanks.

I am putting in a 5x5 shower pan. I think I have it figured out except for the curb. The 26" curb is the middle of a 5 foot wall. Essentially a "threshold" of 26" doorway in the wall. How in the heck do I make the curb and get the membrane in there? I have checked out the instructions on this site for making a curb, but still not sure....Right now the wood curb is flush with the inside of the studwall. I am using Wonderboard on the walls so if I make the curb out of mortar/lath, it will only be 1/2" thick on the inside. Is this OK? Other suggestions? Thanks again.

Since I am here...how about another ???. I will be putting in white 1" hex porcelain mosaic from Daltile...this is unglazed...do I need to seal this or anything before I grout to keep it from staining?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

bbcamp
01-19-2003, 09:54 AM
Hi, Hunter. Welcome to the forum.

I can tell instantly that you have not been here long, since you haven't found the BS and the bickering. :D

BS is in the Mudbox forum, but can also be found sprinkled liberally on the other forums, too!

Bickering is usually in the Pro's hangout, but again, our stock boy seems to put it anywhere he wants to.

Anyway, hang tight, one of the pros or maybe an experienced DIYer will be along to help. While you are waiting, check out the Reference Liberry, or do a search for shower curbs. There's a lot of good stuff in here!

Bob

davem
01-19-2003, 10:03 AM
Hi Hunter,
I thought the same as Bob when I read your post; you haven't looked around enough. Plenty of BS around here! :D

Below is one of the fabulously instructive pictures you can find in the Liberry. Click on it to go to the page it came from. :)

http://johnbridge.com/showerpan31.jpg (http://johnbridge.com/mortar_bed_shower_floor.htm)

John Bridge
01-19-2003, 06:20 PM
Welcome aboard, Hunter. :)

That's pretty much it. The blue things in the photos are called "dam corners" or just "corners." They are reversable, so you can use them for curbs and for inside corners inside the shower pan. The ones in the photos are made by Compotite, but several other companies make them, including Noble, Pasco and Oatey.

Do seal the Dal mosaics. They're a little porous. But you don't have to seal them before grouting unless you are using black or a primary color.

Hunter Fairchild
01-21-2003, 06:54 AM
thanks all for the pictures and help. that picture is exactly what I what I have...I think someone called them 'jamb returns'....I have my liner in and ready for the backer and I guess I will then follow up with mudding over my curb made of 2x4's....

Since I will have 1/2 backer, the inside face of my curb will only have 1/2" of mortar/lath on it...is this ok?...seems kind of thin to me...

thanks again for the help....this job would have been a disaster without your help....

John Bridge
01-21-2003, 07:25 AM
You've just exposed a flaw in our tutorial. My showers are done with cement mortar, and there is usually a little over a half inch of it. I should have mentioned that you can reduce the width of the rough curb to allow for a little more mud.

If you are careful about getting the lath to cling to the inside, you should be okay, though. A half inch of mud is much stronger than a half inch of backer board.