Shower floor and Bar top [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Shower floor and Bar top

cdickson
01-19-2003, 09:09 AM
Everyone here was so very helpful on helping me come to some conclusions on my floor tile problem I wanted to see what help I could get on some other tile questions. I will post pictures of my shower floor and bar top tile to see what everyone thinks.

1. The shower floor is the first question I have. If you look you can see a retangle around the drain on the tile where it looks wet. I had the builder come in and remove the drain to clear the weep holes. They said that if they were clogged they are no longer and any problem we might have had will clear up. Several of my neighbors have had their showers rebuilt for many reasons. Should I push to have them redo mine?

2. These pictures are of my bar top. The issues we have with this is the sharpness of the corners and the cut tile edges exposed on the bottom. If you look closely you can tell that the tile was cut to make the edge and they put that edge to the bottom open and the finished edge up into the mortar. Again several of my neighbors have had their bars redone or changed to another material. Am I wrong to think that this is a poor tile job?

Sponsored Links

cdickson
01-19-2003, 09:14 AM
Shower

cdickson
01-19-2003, 09:17 AM
bar

cdickson
01-19-2003, 09:23 AM
bar 2

bbcamp
01-19-2003, 09:25 AM
It will take several days for the floor tiles to dry out, if they are going to. Can you give this shower a rest for that time?

As for the bar top, I'm trying to remember if "piss-poor" should be hyphenated. Let's assume so. Your corner tile (the one cut and left ragged) should have been a bullnose corner (there is a name for it, but I don't know it). If your tile does not come made that way, the tile setter should have mitered the joint, or at least put a "factory" edge out there. Have the installer re-do it to your satisfaction.

The tile guys will have something to add, too.

cdickson
01-19-2003, 11:55 AM
One other question. Here are some more photos of my shower. I have this corner on the inside of my shower it is about waist high and inside of the shower doors as you can see. We worry that if we were to slip in the shower it would kill us. We have these same edges on the floor outside of the shower I guess for the pan. It is about 6 inches of off the ground. The other is on our tub. The skirt is tile and has these same points about 2 feet off of the ground.

cdickson
01-19-2003, 11:58 AM
inside shower

tileguytodd
01-19-2003, 12:08 PM
Hello Cdickson, Do you have a first name :)
In looking at your corner situation i dont quite understand the reason for the protrusion into the shower in the first place.
Its hard to tell, but it appears there is a bullnose corner on th top of the wall and this would be proper procedure for this type situation based on the way it is built. If the wall actually needs to be there for some reason that i am not seeing,I would have built this with a 45 degree angled front so as to ease the entrance so to speak.I am not sure at this point what you can do short of having the tile removed on this wall,rebuilding the corner completly and or eliminating the wall if you can.
Can you tell me the reason the wall exists to begin with??
Todd

cdickson
01-19-2003, 12:22 PM
Hi,
According to the builder the wall exists to seperate it from the sink area. I do not believe there is a bull nose on the tile. It is just your standard 4x4 floor and wall tile. There is a bullnose peice available but the builder did not think it was necessary to use it.
The first name is Courtney.
Thanks for all the help.
I am beginning to feel like we had the world's worst tile installer.

tileguytodd
01-19-2003, 12:44 PM
OK Hi courtney. If it makes you feel anybetter, the worlds worst tileman lives up here near me.(believe me ,ive torn out more of his stuff than i care to think about) All that aside.If there is no bullnose on the top,And it was done like your countertop corner, It is completly unnacceptable, And dangerous!!
Perhaps you didnt have a tile installer at all.Perhaps you had a carpenter or someone on the builders crew do the tile work. Obviously whoever did it missed a class or 2.
So there are bullnose available for this tile. Perhaps having him order some and getting this redone would be the best way to proceed.I would still consider having the wall angled back in at a 45 degree angle.This would eliminate a nasty sharp edge as you enter your shower. Keep us informed and I wish you well.
Good Luck!! Todd

John Bridge
01-19-2003, 06:41 PM
Hi Courtney,

Here's one more vote for having bullnose installed there. It's just common sense to not build a hazard into a shower. They are hazardous enough as it is.

On the shower floor, I suspect that the liner is not pre-sloped as per ANSI standards. It's possible a "birdbath" resides right under the wet spot. It will keep your little wet spot supplied with "fuel" for a long time. Abandon the shower for a week if you can and see if the spot dries. I don't think it will, but if it does you could then try sealing the shower floor.

cdickson
02-05-2003, 02:43 PM
There are a few new developments in the tile saga myself and my neighbors are going through. My neighbor whose house was built by all the same crews and at the same time had there tile cracked in their shower. Under the tile the hardibacker was covered in black mold. The mold went through the insullation and there was even mold on the studs. We are trying to decide if we should continue to push to make them check ours or if we should hire someone and then if we find something let them know? How bad is it if this has happened to ours? I know in this day and age mention mold and everyone freaks. What seems funny to me is they have had at least three others with problems why are they not falling all over themselves trying to fix ours?

John Bridge
02-05-2003, 08:21 PM
Hi Courtney,

First of all, the black stuff is not killer mold. ;) It's what we call mildew around here. Nasty and ugly buy not dangerous.

I think you have reached the point where you need to pay a pro to come in and do a survey of all the tile work in the house. I do it around here from time to time. It's always at least a hundred, but never more than two.

Then you have something to go with. Right now you're guessing.

cdickson
02-07-2003, 07:17 AM
Thanks so much for all the help. Where do I go about finding an expert to do this for me? I am in the Austin, TX area. If you know of someone please let me know if not where should I look?