Recommendations for checkerboard floor [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for checkerboard floor

Josho
01-19-2003, 08:50 AM
My wife and I are working on a retro kitchen and want to create the standard black-and-white checkerboard effect. We want high quality and durability (it's a busy room, naturally). We've gotten some advice over on the Gardenweb forums, but I thought this would be a better place to ask.

Is linoleum a real possibility for a high-quality, good-looking floor? (Yes, it looks great in the ads, but does it keep looking great after a couple of years?) Which are liable to keep looking better: individual tiles, or sheets? Same questions for vinyl.

We're also considering ceramic tile with black grout, but if so, I believe this would be a lot more expensive as our subfloor is 3/4" plywood, and the joists below it are about 14" apart.

Any advice or input would be appreciated. We're willing to spend more for quality.

--Josh

Sponsored Links

bbcamp
01-19-2003, 09:16 AM
Wellcome aboard, Josh!

I can't comment on vinyl or other sheet goods, or even if a checkboard pattern is best with white or black grout, but if you are even considering a ceramic tile floor, we'd better have a look at the underpinnings. A bunch of people came here with their hearts set on tile or stone, only to find that their floors weren't up to requirements.

So, your joists are 14" apart? What size are they, and what is the longest unsupported span?

And your plywood subfloor is 3/4" thick. With a tile floor, the floor level will end up at least 1/2 to 5/8 inches higher than it is now. Will this be a problem to you?

Others will be along to comment on your questions, and you can come back here with the support information, if you want to proceed.

Good Luck!

John Bridge
01-19-2003, 06:05 PM
Hi Josh, Welcome. :)

I'm not a soft tile guy, either, but I think the solid vinyl tiles are pretty good. Pricey but good.

The best grout color for a black and white ceramic checkerboard floor is medium gray. When you think about it, gray is simply a mix of black and white. Black, white and gray are non-colors.

If you use white it makes the white tiles look bigger, and if you use black, well, same thing.

tileguytodd
01-19-2003, 06:58 PM
I would have to agree with John on his grout choice if you do decide on ceramic tile.
Many years ago i did an art deco kitchen remodel using a high quality vinyl tile for a neighbor.
The product was made by NAFCO and had a slate texture.It was a great looking floor and was a bit pricey.It held up quite well for them.its been a few years since i have seen it but at 7 or 8 years old it still looked very good with one exception.They had some scuff marks near thier table where the chair gliders should have been replaced and werent.Other than that it seemed to hold up very well.

For Black and White ceramic tiles,Interceramic has a couple that are as good as any ive seen.Cerim may still have thier negri/blanco line also.Good Luck