proper thinset for porcelain [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : proper thinset for porcelain

a.dana
01-18-2003, 05:19 PM
Custom has a thinset specific for porcelain. They also make Flexbond which works with porcelain and provides some anti-fracture protection as well.

So which would be preferable to use? I would like to have as much anti-fracture protection as possible on my concrete slab. (I will be appying a membrane over the cracks in my slab.)

Sponsored Links

tileguytodd
01-18-2003, 05:53 PM
Flexbond will be fine.
What type of membrane are you using??

a.dana
01-18-2003, 06:07 PM
I cannot find schluter anywhere in dallas. Home Depot very reluctantly admited they could special order it, but strongly discouraged it. Couldn't give me a price, either.

I had to call National Applied Construction Products, Inc.
to intervene with their distributors who had refused to sell the ECB to retail customers. ( I have't bought it yet, but I really appreciate their quick response to my inquiries and their decisive disciplinary action with their distributors who were borderline rude with me. Kind of feel I owe it to them to buy although the ECB is pricier than I would like. 1.55 sq ft plus expensive primer!)

timothyjarrett
01-18-2003, 06:49 PM
If you are just treating cracks you should talk to HD about getting you a bucket of Custum Waterproof and Antifracture membrane, it can be trowel applied. A large bucket costs me $150 at Daltile, and I know HD can get it for you. It is much easier than sheet membrane to apply.

tileguytodd
01-18-2003, 07:01 PM
Like timothy, I use Custums Prored 963 alot. It is a lil spendy , but very easy to deal with.1 gallon goes along way.
Another option is a fabric called flexgaurd. It comes in rolls 12,24,36" wide by 25' long. Another good product with an excellant warranty.

John Bridge
01-18-2003, 10:10 PM
Hello, A. and welcome aboard. :)

But I gotta have a better name than A. :D

How many and how long are the cracks that you have? I might be able to recommend a product that you can buy by the linear foot. In fact, I will recommend it. ;)

http://www.protectowrap.com

And I think I actually have some pics. I'll look.

a.dana
01-19-2003, 02:23 AM
Thanks to everyone for the responses!

Guess I will go with flexbond instead of the porcelain mortar for all the anti-fracture protection I can get.

I will try to get pricing and availability for protectowrap and flexguard. For some reason, all these membranes seem hard to find in Dallas.

The trowel-applied membrane is available at Home Depot; I wonder about how difficult it is to apply in the correct thickness. Guess it is just a matter of having a guage to measure it when applying?

I have 2 ugly cracks about 10 ft long; they are 2-3/16 in wide and level on both sides. This slab is 21 years old and last year was inspected by a civil engineer who pronounced the foundation stable. I am hoping those cracks are very old.

There are also some hairline cracks. Does it make sense to use the trowel membrane for the small cracks and the sheets for the big ones?

Sonnie Layne
01-19-2003, 05:23 AM
A,

I have bought anti-fracture material from Lowe's (don't know what part of town you're from). They sell, I think a Laticrete product along with a spunbound polyester backer as a kit. Around $45 if I remember right. If you have trouble finding it I've got some, if you're ever in the area of Mockingbird/Central. At any rate, you just trowel the stuff on, you can use a disposable plastic trowel if you have no need to buy a steel one.

Dave Gobis
01-19-2003, 07:51 AM
Really sounding to me like you should consider doing the whole floor with a membrane if there are multiple cracks. Didn't say have to, just consider.

a.dana
01-19-2003, 09:12 AM
Covering the whole floor with a membrane was my original intention.

I just wish I could find an economical one. The trowel applied membrane from Home Depot is about $1/sq ft; not too bad since no primer is needed. Is it available unmixed in bags for less, I wonder?

Any of these other sheets available for less than the $1.55 I was quoted for the ECB from National Applied Construction Products?

Dave Gobis
01-19-2003, 12:51 PM
We use about 10 different type of membranes here

Noble TS
Schluter Ditra
Trowel and Seal
Ultra Cure
Ultra Set
Triple Flex
ECB
PRP 19
M-315
Bonsal 6000
Dal TS
Midwest Padding

And you know what? Everything is just over a dollar. Go figure.

a.dana
01-19-2003, 06:52 PM
Is $1/sq ft a wholesale price?

Anyone know where a retail customer can get that price?

Dave Gobis
01-19-2003, 06:56 PM
The typical price from a tile distributor is a dollar plus change on all of the products I mentioned per s/f if I am not mistaken. Not sure about a few.