Caulk vs Grout [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Caulk vs Grout

Handyman
01-17-2003, 12:41 PM
One more time, how does this august forum vote on the question of caulking or grouting the wall corner joints and the floor/wall joints in the condition when tile is installed over the Laticrete Watertight Floor N Wall Waterproofing liquid membrane which in turn was applied over CBU walls embedded in "John Bridge mud" floor?

TIA

Robert

Sponsored Links

bbcamp
01-17-2003, 01:34 PM
The same. Caulk all intersecting planes. The waterproofing membrane does not change the need for the caulk, which is to absorb the inevitable movement between the intersecting surfaces.

John Bridge
01-17-2003, 03:39 PM
Hi Robert,

You just want to see me squirm, don't you? You know I'm an outcast when it comes to that question. :D

The truth is I don't do CBU showers, so I just plain can't argue with these guys. The tile industry for the most part says c - c- ca- caulk . . . :D

Handyman
01-17-2003, 04:29 PM
John, I can't believe you actually said it!

Oh well, I guess I can caulk all the "intersecting planes". Do you caulkers have a preference for a decent brand/type?

TIA

Robert

Rob Z
01-17-2003, 08:25 PM
Hi Robert

For my silicone caulking needs, I use GE Series 1700 and Laticrete Latsil. I get the GE at Greeenwald Supply in Springfield, and the Latasil at Conestoga Tile in Dulles.

I caulk everything. :)

tileguytodd
01-17-2003, 08:34 PM
Close your ears Rob OK (weve been through this before)

John and I both agree emphatically on 1 thing.Siliconized latex caulk is the only caulk made.two varietys regular and sanded.
Now this is a good thing because we generally agree to disagree on many other things.I am right of course :D :D :D

We have been trying to convince Rob,but he keeps slippin through the cracks on us :D

Rob Z
01-17-2003, 08:41 PM
Todd

A guy that stays out fishing on the ice in the middle of the Minnesota winter shouldn't be SCARED :eek: of a tube of silicone caulk.

tileguytodd
01-17-2003, 08:55 PM
100% silicone caulk!!! Never heard of it!! ;)

Wish i had time to fish.Cant wait for Feb to get here Cabo here i come :D

John Bridge
01-17-2003, 09:16 PM
Yep, when I have to break down and caulk something, and it happens occasionally, I use siliconized latex caulking. I know it doesn't last as long as Rob's stuff, but it's sure easier to repair. And no matter what type of caulking you use, it will have to be repaired eventually.

Todd,

You'd better send us a picture from Cabo. I'm not that much of a fisherman, but I could sure find one of those little beer huts on the beach and watch you from afar. :D

tileguytodd
01-17-2003, 09:27 PM
Ill be sure to send you one to post John. I'll be the guy in the damn wheel chair if it doesnt slowup PDQ :mad:
Workin Saturday for sure and maybe sunday.At least that quarry Job is done, and i get a few hundred feet of wall tile next week for a change of pace. But the week after,You guessed it,another county garage and 2000 s/f of Metro 6x6 with base.Arghhhhhhhh

John Bridge
01-17-2003, 09:35 PM
Did I ever tell you about the time I met the gal who owns Metropolitan? It was also the first time I met Dave Gobis. Was at his donut fest in Dallas, as a matter of fact.

I think her name is Amy, and I don't think she took a particular liking to me. :) I think she might still be the president of the TCA, or she's the most recent past president.

You there, Dave?

tileguytodd
01-18-2003, 03:18 PM
Nope, never heard that story John. But hey seeing as she didnt take a liking to you ,next time you see her,tell her you dont care cause her Tile sucks anyway !!!!! :D