Saltillo tile information needed please... [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Saltillo tile information needed please...

artistedesign
01-17-2003, 10:19 AM
I have a question re: saltillo tile installation
(John has been so kind as to allow me access to this site for your advice. Thanks, John!)
Due to remodeling, I need to replace some tiled areas in my home.
I am in the midwest and no one carries saltillo nor knows how to install it. I purchased the tile (from AZ) and have glued them in place. They are porous and still wet from wet saw. How long do I wait before I seal them. Is the product called "penetrating sealer" or ???
Do I put a few coats of penetrating sealer on first, then the oil based stain over that (the tiles are stained an umber color) and then the acrylic finish coats? When do I grout? The grout is brown and I bought colored sanded grout. I am afraid to grout first being that the tiles are so porous. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ann
Please e mail me directly at artistedesign@prodigy.net

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
01-17-2003, 12:23 PM
Sorry, I don't think anyone will email you. I'll post a couple pointers here, and you can ask as many questions as you like. Please list your name, too. I don't keep a record. :D

You can pre-seal the tiles before grouting if you like. I would use something cheap for this phase -- Thompson's Water Seal is one. You will do it twice. Seal one day and then come back with more the next day. This will ensure the tiles have drunk their fill. :)

Then you can grout, allow it to cure a few days and seal the whole floor again. Then apply the top finish, which must be a quality product. I recommend Aquamix.

http://www.aquamix.com