solid surface and tile = oil and vinegar? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : solid surface and tile = oil and vinegar?

klarck
01-17-2003, 06:10 AM
I'm installing a Swanstone solid surface tub/shower surround and 4x4 American Olean ceramic tile (waist high) on the other wall surfaces of a bathroom. Because I'll have some extra Swanstone material, I though it might be neat to incorporate the surplus into my tile layout as accent pieces. For example, I could cut it into 1x4's or 2x6 bullnose. AO has some nifty 4x4's that have cutouts for 2x2 accents.

Is this nuts? Anyone have any idea how thinset and grout will work with solid surface material? If worse comes to worse I can test it in the shop, but the stuff is a little expensive to experiment with.

Sponsored Links

tileguytodd
01-17-2003, 06:38 AM
Well , ive set solid surface material window sills in thinset and that works well .Should work probobly maybe perhaps :)

Opinion worth price charged ;)

John Bridge
01-17-2003, 11:42 AM
Hello Klarck, Welcome. :) How about a first name?

I have no doubt the material will bond well using modified thin set, but I doubt it will hold up as well as the tiles. If you are aware that the plastic will easily scuff, go for it. I would rather find something made from ceramic or stone for the accents, though. :)