Shower tile repair [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Shower tile repair

samwise
01-16-2003, 08:24 PM
I am getting ready to have my tub/shower tiles reglazed. First I need to replace the shower valve/stop screws/head. The plumber I have contacted needs to increase the hole size from which the valve sticks through the walll, in order to have access to replace said shower valve/stops. After the installation, he wishes to use a "#1 cover plate" to cover the increaced hole size and mount the fixture on it.

I would really like to have a nice, clean, modern looking shower. The place is 25 years old, and needs updating.
I am replacing all shower hardware and doors too.
Should I go with the cover plate, or repair the tile, before the reglazing begins. I have'nt seen this cover plate, but I don't want a cheesy looking install here.

If repairing the tile is the best option, what are the steps involved, and hazards with this type of repair around the shower valve ?

Im really good with my hands, and can learn quick.

Thanks in advance.
Sam

Sponsored Links

Jason_Butler
01-16-2003, 08:59 PM
I think the cover plate will be fine. I often do tubs, surrounds, etc where the plumber follows the tile. It is not uncommon to increase this opening. Some plumbers can get by; others can't

Get a look at the plate and then decide..

Sorry I can't comment on the reglazing. Maybe the others will have some experience in this area.

Jason

John Bridge
01-17-2003, 04:02 AM
Hi Sam, Welcome aboard. :)

Listen, I'm going to attempt to redirect your whole course of action here. I wouldn't let the plumber anywhere near my tile if I wanted to keep it. It's possible to entirely rebuild any shower valve without disturbing anything. You can put all new parts inside, and you can buy new trim pieces for what shows.

The plate he's talking about might be one of those large things you see in motels. I wouldn't do it.

Secondly, I would not have the tiles painted. It won't hold up as well as the original glaze. In fact, the only way to "re-glaze" ceramic tiles is to remove them and run them through a kiln again. Anything that is applied to the surface of your existing tiles will not hold up indefinitely. You say you're handy. Rip everything out and we'll help you get it re-tiled. Then you'll really have something. ;)

tileguytodd
01-17-2003, 07:05 AM
Wow John, you can get so destructive at 4 AM!! :D

I have to agree with John,plumbers are death to tile.
If the tile looks like it needs reglazing, and you want to modernize your bathroom.Perhaps its time to consider all available options.Some of the new wall tiles and or stone tiles out there will absolutly blow your mind.You'll think you died and went to heaven in the Loo :)
And like john said, we'll be happy to talk you through the process. Take a look at some of the pictures in the alumni album.These folks had never tiled before coming here.You will see some great stuff and perhaps get a few ideas.
Get excited, your gonna have the best bathroom on the block :dance: