Tile on Shower Walls [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Tile on Shower Walls

Bwithka
01-16-2003, 12:15 PM
I am in the process of remodeling my bathroom and I have run into some decisions. The bathtub and tile around the bathtub are in excellent shape but it does not match the color that I want to use. I was planning on hiring a professional to resurface the tub but I wanted to rip down the old tile and put up new tile. The existing tile looks and feels to be in excellent shap but the color just will not go with how I would like to decorate. It appear that there is standard sheetrock behind the 4x4 tile. My question is: Do I have to rip down this sheetrock and install cemant board? Is there an easier way? I really didn't want to get into ripping down the sheetrock especially since there seems to be no water damage.

Sponsored Links

flatfloor
01-16-2003, 12:31 PM
If it is sheetrock your probably going to destry it getting the tiles off anyway. Might as well do it right.

Others will be along.

John Bridge
01-16-2003, 12:45 PM
Hi Bwithka, Welcome. Maybe give us a first name? :)

Sheetrock showers are done in two ways: one entails gluing the tiles right onto the sheetrock that forms the bathroom wall; and the other involves putting up another layer of rock and tiling to that. If you have the two layers, it's easy to pry off the second layer along with the tile and still have your original layer of rock on the wall.

Otherwise, cut around the edge of the installation and remove tile and rock. As Jim said, you'll destroy the rock trying to get the tiles off.

And yes, you'll be using cement backer board, and not sheetrock, for the new tiles.

Bwithka
01-16-2003, 01:34 PM
I was trying to avoid ripping down the existing sheetrock because I only have one shower in my house. It becomes a bit more involved when I will have to hang new cement board. I really can't have too much down time.

What do you use to cover the gaps between the sheetrock and cement board?

What about the corners? Do I use corner tap or should I just fill the gap in the corner with mortor?

Thanks,

Brian

John Bridge
01-16-2003, 01:56 PM
Brian,

It does become a little involved. You tape the cbu to the sheetrock and finish the outside with drywall mud. Inside the shower area you tape all joints, including the corners, with thin set mortar and a special mesh tape.

I know it's an incovenience, but you would still have the use of the tub during the remodel. Better than nothing. :)

We try to urge people to do their projects in a manner that will be long-lasting as well as beautiful. Takes time. ;)

Bwithka
01-16-2003, 03:22 PM
I guess you are right, while I am working on the project, I can always hang plastic on the walls and duct tape it to the tub so that I don't leak water all over the place. Thanks for your help.

Brian

flatfloor
01-16-2003, 04:50 PM
Brian, when you have more questions please come back to this thread. Makes it easier for you and us. :)

John Bridge
01-16-2003, 05:53 PM
I sometimes have to pull plastic from the walls of showers where people have pushed the sheetrock a little too far. Here's a shot of a recent tub surround we replaced. :)

Bwithka
01-16-2003, 08:01 PM
I got another question for the experts out there.

What do you do when your shower surround intersects with a an outside corner? More specifically, what do you do with the corner bead from the sheetrock? I will have tile up to the corner and the other corner will be sheetrock. Do you fasten the cornerbead to the cement backerboard?

Should I cut the backerboard short and double up on the stud and attach the backerboard to the new stud?

Thanks for your support. Great site. Glad I found it.

Brian

rj
01-16-2003, 09:11 PM
Hi Brian,
In the outside corner situation I like to use a vinyl
corner bead. they don't rust in that high mosture area.
yup you fasten the cornerbead to the backer board.
use thinset up to the line you will be tiling to. After you finish
tiling you can finish the rest with joint compound (spackle)
I personally don't like joint compound under my tile work...
R.J.