boric acid? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : boric acid?

demetrius
01-15-2003, 07:14 PM
can i use a boric acid wash around a bathtub to treat the wood. will it damage the enamel on the tub. what about the finished concrete floor. staining/bleaching?
thanks
~demetrius

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
01-15-2003, 08:48 PM
Hi Demetrius, Welcome. :)

I use boric acid to control insects. I have some spread in the corners of my countertops right now to combat Argentine ants that have invaded the place. It doesn' t hurt anything, as far as I know. It's pretty sedate stuff as acids go.

My question is: why would you want to use it in the tub area? Are you trying to clean something?

drew
01-16-2003, 10:37 PM
can i use a boric acid wash around a bathtub to treat the wood.

That's a new one on me, I'm with John, round these parts I've seen it used for ant control during the dry part of late summer, but as a wood treatment?

Sonnie Layne
01-17-2003, 03:25 AM
I'll interject that Boric Acid has, in some studies, combatted the spread of the fungus that we describe as dry rot. Last I read it was still up in the air, but legitimate. Chemically plausible.

Perhaps this is the source of the dialogue?

I, myself, haven't done any studies as concerns the effects of Boric Acid and any microbial infarcations. However, I've had dealings to a great degree with Boron in soil science as far as it's phytobionic properties.

I'd say, from all that I've learned about using Boron as a microbicide, that you'd need to apply it directly to the affected tissue (studs, plates, etc) to gain any benefit. I've no personal doubt that it would work, just haven't had the time to do the research. No doubt someone has. Try a search on the net.

Myself, I feel that Boron has more uses than that found in Borax. It displaces Calcium and to a lesser degree Phosphorous. That is known. Interesting stuff. At least to a former horticulturist.

How it interacts with the base materials mentioned above would be better answered by another member of this board. I forget his name/nickname, but maybe he's hanging around and will answer that riddle.

In the mean-time, I'd say that it wouldn't do any harm. Interesting topic. As far as tile goes, the only possible effect I can perceive is a "lightening" or "cleansing" effect on the grout.

Other chemically astute guys will be around to correct my measures and steer you in a better manner, I'm sure.

tileguytodd
01-17-2003, 07:21 AM
Isnt Boric Acid used in the manufacture of some Enamels??? I thought i read that somewhere...........:suspect:

Sonnie Layne
01-17-2003, 02:24 PM
Not to my knowledge, Todd. It is, however used as a pesticide for roaches and beetles.