Wet saw for both slate tile and concrete pavers [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Wet saw for both slate tile and concrete pavers

markd
01-15-2003, 04:49 PM
I am in the market for a wet saw to do approx 900 sq ft of slate in our house. I am also planning to lay a patio with pavers in the backyard (approx 800 sq ft.) I was looking at the felker saws. Is there a saw that could cut pavers and tile without having to purchase two different saws? Is it possible to buy an FTS-150 or a Tilemaster and just change the blade to a concrete diamond blade?

Thanks,
Mark

Sponsored Links

Jason_Butler
01-15-2003, 05:35 PM
I see no reason the Tilemaster wouldn't work for both. Many pavers are dry cut but using a wet saw would be even better.

Let's see what the others say...

Jason

tileguytodd
01-15-2003, 06:25 PM
Ive cut pavers with my Felker SC and while a bit underpowered for any long term use as such.A one time job like yours should be no problem for an FTS 150

I didnt even change blades,Just used the one i had in. :)

ninemile
01-15-2003, 06:55 PM
Todd,

It's probably the same blade you've had since the 80's or so :p
Especially if it's a Mighty Felker blade :D

tileguytodd
01-15-2003, 06:59 PM
Dont I wish Collen :D
Unfortunatly i have to buy 4 or 5 blades a year.Of course if i bought anything other than a Felker blade, it would probobly be more like 15 or 20 ;)

Bill Vincent
01-15-2003, 07:05 PM
Talkin about suckin up!! You folks really want one of those teeshirts!

andyl
01-16-2003, 09:38 AM
Mark, either Felker saw will do just fine on both slate and pavers. Many smaller rental houses use both the Felker Tile Master and Target Tilematic for tile and brick rental. The Baldor motor that is used on those two we also use on our smallest straight masonry saw. You really should get a segmented blade to cut the pavers. Your tile blade will wear pretty quickly otherwise. You can get some pretty inexpensive segmented blades that should do the job for you including the Felker FX line and the Target TDX line. You can cut wet or dry with the tile saws, won't hurt anything.

John Bridge
01-16-2003, 11:37 AM
Hi Mark,

For 900 feet I would get the segmented blade. I'll make things go much smoother.

Bill,

I don't have to worry about my t-shirt. Andy already has my name embroidered on a large. :D

markd
01-16-2003, 11:44 AM
Thanks for all of the great advice. If I understood John correctly, a segemented blade would cut my 16x16 slate tiles and concrete pavers. That's great. I will probably buy a Tilemaster :)

John Bridge
01-16-2003, 12:02 PM
Actually, I was suggesting you buy both blades, the contiuous for the slate and the segmented for the brick, but I think they still pack a continuous in with the new saw, so you would only be shelling out for extra for the segmented.

Did I say it right, Andy? ;)

Also, keep your fingers out of the way of the segmented. It can rip you up a bit.

andyl
01-16-2003, 12:22 PM
Rip cutting 16 no problem, if you must do diagonals, you'll need to turn the tile around to complete it.

And yes, John, you are correct........again