shower/bathtub walls [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : shower/bathtub walls

Vic L
01-15-2003, 03:15 PM
I tried to post this a few minutes ago and lost everything. Hope it does not show up again.

Tried to find my answer in archives but am a bit under the gun time wise. Here goes.

I have had to remove some plaster walls above my tub due to water damage. I am considering two options:

1) replaster and add kerdi membrane (tile man used kerdi system on my other shower stall and so far so good but that was floor to ceiling replacement over new drywall.)

2) put up concrete board and/or kerdi membrane. If I do this I will have to fir out the studs in order to get a level transition from old plaster to new concrete board. Can I do that?

Any other suggestions will be much appreciated as I am under the gun time wise.

Thanks in advance,

Vic L.

p.s. yes it will be used as mainly a shower.

vl

Sponsored Links

Jason_Butler
01-15-2003, 06:36 PM
Studs, then vapor barrier, and follow with CBU. Yes you can add furring strips to accomodate the tarnsition.

Jason

e3
01-15-2003, 07:12 PM
Iwould rather see the membrane on the cbu,instead of under it.This is stoping the water from ever entering into the wall system. This type of membrane should meet a.n.s.i. A-118.10 (ie: nobleseal t.s , lada crete 9235)

Jason_Butler
01-15-2003, 08:16 PM
Been down that road as well Eric...

The vapor barrier is much less expensive than the waterproofer I've used. At about $50 a gallon, the waterproofer is a little pricey. Roofing felt offers good protection @ a fraction of the cost

The waterproofing membrane will definitely make the install bulletproof

Jason

Vic L
01-15-2003, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the quick advice. I will fir in the cbu and then the membrane.

Thanks,

Vic L.

John Bridge
01-15-2003, 10:15 PM
Hi Vic, Welcome. :)

You're on the right track.

Hey Eric,

The method Jason proposed is also included in ANSI standards. (A-108, where it pertains to shower installations.)