Travertine Bathroom floor [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Travertine Bathroom floor

gordont64
01-13-2003, 01:11 PM
Hi there,

My name is Gordon and I would like to attempt a diy travertine tile installation in my master bath floor. approximately 100 sq ft. over concrete slab. 1st question is cutting this stuff - what is the best saw and method? (Should I rent, buy, or borrow?) Which products should I use for setting and grouting (the travertine is ivory, 18").

I welcome ANY helpful opinions!!

Thanks for thehelp...

-=Gt

Sponsored Links

Bill Vincent
01-13-2003, 02:01 PM
First of all, especially if the travertine is that big, it doesn't matter whether you rent, buy, borrow, or steal-- you want a full sized wet saw, and even with that, you may have to flip tiles to cut them all the way through. One other thing you ought to do, though. Make absolutely certain that your concrete is as flat as possible, or you're going to pay hell trying to get that floor to look good, not to mention getting stone that big to bond over the entire tile's surface.

davem
01-13-2003, 04:49 PM
Have you checked your floor structure to see if it is strong enough for natural stone? It must be twice as stiff as required for ceramic tile. If you post your joist span, spacing and depth, and the subfloor material, our engineering dept can run the calculations for you. :)

Jason_Butler
01-13-2003, 05:43 PM
Hey Dave,

He mentioned a concrete slab..;)

Jason

davem
01-13-2003, 06:01 PM
ahh, err, well is it that newfangled stiff concrete? :o

gordont64
01-14-2003, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the tips...any recommendations on grout and setting products?

-=Gt

John Bridge
01-14-2003, 06:58 PM
Hi Gordon, Welcome aboard.

It IS the stiff kind of concrete, right? :p

Listen, I'm not sure you fully appreciate what Bill was saying about the floor being flat. It's an absolute must with tiles that large. The first thing you should do is get a long straight-edge. A two by four will work. Slide it around over the floor and note the spaces under it. If your floor is "lumpy," it'll have to be flattened.

You can cut large tiles on a cheap saw. Takes some doing, but it can be done. But I think you'll be better off renting a 10 in. tile saw.