Historic reproduction mosaic tile? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Historic reproduction mosaic tile?

Andy Lester
01-12-2003, 12:21 PM
I'm looking for suppliers of historic reproduction mosaic tile. I'm in the planning stages of a complete redo of a shower and bathroom in a 1920s art-deco style house, and we want to retain as much of the original character as possible.

Along those same lines, I'm also looking for attractive, preferably historically accurate, 3x6 wall tile, with a selection of trim pieces and wainscotting.

I've done some searches on the internet and been to the big boxes, dal tile, etc, but I haven't been overly impressed. At least for the mosaic tile, I'm trying to find some that have square (i.e. not beveled) edges, as that is what I'm replacing. And, the bathroom is only approx 7x10, and the shower is 3x3. So I don't need a lot.

I remember Scooter talking about a couple places in CA on an old thread in the JLC forums, but I can't seem to find it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

-Andy

PS- great site! I've been on the JLC forum for a while now, but as it appears to be DOA, I'm glad I wandered over!!

Sponsored Links

ninemile
01-12-2003, 01:19 PM
Andy, heres a few links for you. I've been into the old tile as well and it takes alot of digging. I'm sure others will add their links/thoughts as well.

For wall tile: www.meredithtile.com or www.missiontilewest.com
Ebay search for antique tile etc. Tons coming from Belgium, france but it can be pricey. But it's fun...:) I got some 3x6 from Belguim and used it as an accent along with base white 3x6 subway tiles in a small bathroom.

For non-cushion (flat) hex or squares: www.auc-tile.com
www.worldmosaic.ca/mesh/index.htm

If you want the 1/2 x 1/2 x 5/6" very small mosaics go to www.witsendmosaics.com and look for relics. Commonly used in entryways.

Have fun!!

Bill Vincent
01-12-2003, 07:44 PM
I wish this site (and others like it) was around about 15 years ago! After my father passed away, my sister and I moved our family's company to a smaller building, and had to get rid of all the old tile my father and grandfather had held on to (they were both pack rats from WAY back!) We tried selling it, hell--we even tried GIVING it away!! What we ended up doing was filling up 12 30 yard dumpsters with it!! Alot of the tile was so old (I found packing slips from the 1920's), it was packed in the old wooden crates, and some of them were even unopenned!! I mean, some beautiful stuff-- all kinds of mosaic and paver patterns, but we had no room for it where we were moving to, and couldn't even GIVE it away!

Scooter
01-12-2003, 08:18 PM
I do a lot of these. The main difference is the edge of the mosiac. Historically correct mosiacs were flat. Daltile and other repros have a beveled edge which is a bit more forgiving when setting the tile or walking on them.

For historically correct tile, try Mission tile in Pasadena, CA or Designs in Tile in Mt. Shasta, CA.

Andy Lester
01-12-2003, 09:25 PM
Thank you all for the information, I will check out the places mentioned- a brief tour of the websites looks promising.

Thanks again

Andy