flex grout [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : flex grout

scott anthony
01-12-2003, 06:52 AM
Hey guys I have a freind that lives in Central Fla in a house with a sub floor and stem walls.
The house is sitting on the worst situation possible Gumbo clay. I'm sure the pro's have heard about fondations over clay.
He has had the house pinned and secured at the perimeter, but he was told that on some extreme drought situations the supporting piers could sill possibly move slighly. The house seems strong and well built underside, exact specs I'm not sure of.
I know tile jobs on moving foundations or floors are out of the question as an installer, but the owner wants help with a kichen and a bath floor. He is willing to take all risk, and came to me for advice.

To make a long question short is there a grout that will flex with minor movment similar to caulk that might help his situation.
Something that looks a bit better than caulk.
This is a first for me. Other than talking him out of tile what are some options.

Sponsored Links

Rob Z
01-12-2003, 07:06 AM
Hi Scott

There was a display at my tile supplier that had mosaics installed directly to plywood with Laticrete 333 flexible additive, and grouted with Laticrete 1776 grout additive. The plywood spanned about two feet, and even when someone stood on this display and bent it downward an inch or more, none of the tile came up and none of the grout joints cracked.

Even though that was a manufactured display, it was still impressive. The floors in your friend's house won't be deflecting that much, will they? If you can't get the Laticrete, I bet Mapei and some of the other brands have similar high performance additives that would help on this unusual installation.

Charles Rich
04-02-2009, 01:54 PM
I am very interested in you posting. What size are the tiles in this floor?

I have a floor like this only the tiles are 12" square. Would this product work with the larger tiles?

Rob Z
04-02-2009, 03:10 PM
Hi Charles, I got your PM, I guess this is what you were asking about?

That was a long time ago (2003), so I don't recall exactly...but I think they were 2x2's or 1x1's.

It's hard to say what you could do with your floor without knowing more details.

ceramictec
04-02-2009, 03:33 PM
why not set the tile on Ditra and use either StarQuartz grout or SpectraLock ?

the StarQuartz can handle some flexing I dont know about the SpectraLock.