Mounting soap dish in shower [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Mounting soap dish in shower

Dabbling_In_Tile
01-11-2003, 08:50 PM
I'm in the process of tiling a shower. Everything is going well. This site has helped alot! I have two questions.

What should I use to mount the grab bar/soap dish to the CBU wall? A guy at HD said to use mastic. From everything I read here I didn't think that was right. I just said "ah huh, thanks" and quickly walked away. I was pretty sure thinset was the best way. Should I just use the Versabond I used for the tile, mastic like the HD said, or is something else better? Once up, should I caulk or grout between the dish and the tile?

Speaking of caulk... My wife picked out a green grout. I've checked HD, Lowes, The Tile Shop, and Custom Building Product's web site looking for a sanded green caulk. I have not found it anywhere. The salesperson at The Tile Shop said that no can make a green caulk because the green colorant does something to the caulk. Is this the case? If not, where can I find sanded green grout?

Thanks for everyone's help!

Sponsored Links

Dabbling_In_Tile
01-11-2003, 08:55 PM
That last line should read... where can I find sanded green caulk?

Looks like I should proof read BEFORE posting instead of after!

davem
01-11-2003, 09:00 PM
Hi Kevin, you can always go back and edit a post. If you do it within a few minutes it won't even get marked as edited. :)

Hit the search icon up there on the top right and type in the word weldbond . You'll pop up a few threads that should either educate you or thoroughly confuse you. ;)

Dabbling_In_Tile
01-11-2003, 09:20 PM
Thanks Dave.

Looks like I have several different methods of handling the soap dish question. My guess is that anyone would work well.

I still have the green caulk question that hopefully someone will help me with.

Bri
01-11-2003, 09:39 PM
Hi
I would(and do) use silicone to attach soap dishes. Most are made to be surface mounted, so installing all the tile, and then mounting the dish on the surface of the the tile works well. The combination of silicone caulk and a hot melt glue gun makes it an easy job. A few dabs of the glue gun (along with the silicone) will hold the dish in place until the silicone drys. They don't come off.;)

tileguytodd
01-11-2003, 10:00 PM
Silicone will work,but if it is a Grab Bar type soap dish (i think Bri missed that) I would go with the weldbond Grout mix .

We actually set soap dishes directly on Plywood with this blend and used them as steps just to see how well it would hold up. I climbed the wall using the soap dishes as toe steps.I'm 200 lbs.You do the math :)

Bri
01-11-2003, 10:16 PM
nope..didn't miss it :) it works for those too(and they don't come off)..I was just coming up with another of the many suggestions...they all seem to work pretty good it seems.:D

tileguytodd
01-11-2003, 10:19 PM
You forgot Bri
Siliconized Latex repeat after me there is no other caulk but siliconized latex :D :D :D

Rob Z
01-12-2003, 05:56 AM
Hi Kevin

I use either thinset or rapid set epoxy to mount soap dishes and towel bars.

Try www.colorfast.com for color matched caulks. I think I have gotten a green caulk from them before to match either a Bonsal or a Laticrete green grout I used.

vocrn
02-01-2003, 12:47 PM
We had this problem with the soap dish also...contractor put it up twice with mastic and twice it came down.

We used thin set...and it is tight! tried all kinds of things to pull it down and it is there to stay.

WilliamL
02-01-2003, 02:24 PM
I know for a fact that custom makes a green caulk,check dal-tile