tumbled marblel backsplash [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : tumbled marblel backsplash

damato
01-11-2003, 06:15 PM
I have previous experience with ceramic. None with tumbled marble. I am going to install a 4"x12" strip of tumbled marble on the bottom of the backsplash and a 12"x12" mosaic above that. The 12"x12" is mesh backed 1"x1" tiles. I am concerned about the weight of the unit. Will it slide? Should I insert spacers? From reading this forum I have deciced to go with the latex thinset. I will probably just fill in the crevices with float, since a bag would take forever with the small tiles. Any other advice would be great! Thank you.

Sponsored Links

tileguytodd
01-11-2003, 06:56 PM
Keep a few finish nails handy if you are concerned about slipping.Tap them in to your top row groutline on the sheet below a tile or two or three when you have it positioned.

Bill Vincent
01-11-2003, 07:45 PM
Another thing that works real well is the plastic marble wedges, both the large and the small sizes. Using them, you can take into account any sizing or in the case of the sheets of 1x1's, mounting irregularities. as for spacing the tumbled marble, if you lay spacers on their flat side, and adjust with the wedges, that works well, too.

damato
01-11-2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Bill Vincent
Another thing that works real well is the plastic marble wedges, both the large and the small sizes. Using them, you can take into account any sizing or in the case of the sheets of 1x1's, mounting irregularities. as for spacing the tumbled marble, if you lay spacers on their flat side, and adjust with the wedges, that works well, too.

Rob Z
01-12-2003, 05:51 AM
Hi Damato

As Bill and Todd said, small nails and plastic wedges will do the trick. I seal tumbled marble with Aqua Mix Sealers Choice 15 prior to grouting, to keep the porous stone from sucking all the moisture out of the grout and to make clean up easier.

Post a picture when you are done!

John Bridge
01-12-2003, 10:47 AM
Welcome aboard, Damato. How about a first name? ;)

damato
01-12-2003, 12:06 PM
I am starting tomorrow. I will submit a pic when done. I'll probably be checking in here as I go along, so keep the tips coming. Please. Deanne

John Bridge
01-12-2003, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the name, Deanne. :)