Grouting a shower wall [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Grouting a shower wall

stgmngr
01-10-2003, 10:35 PM
I just had to repair a 1' X 1' section of tile on my shower wall. I re-grouted the entire shower after repair.

My question is... do you really have to wait for 2 weeks WITHOUT using the shower before you can seal the grout.??

I do not have another shower in the house... 2 weeks seem a long time..

Could i do anything to excelerate the drying/curing process??

Thanks

Sponsored Links

kemguru
01-11-2003, 01:48 AM
Welcome to the board!

You can speed up the dry time, but not the curing.

"Always follow the manufacturers instructions!" (I know, I know :bang: )

Now thats outa da way

Use a water based penetrating seal, wait atleast 3 days after grouting, then seal away, then wait another 24 hours or so for seal to cure some, then shower away.

Best

Tim

John Bridge
01-11-2003, 02:10 PM
Aquamix makes a good water base product called Sealer's Choice 15 Gold that is available at Home Depot (in most parts of the country and in Canada -- everywhere except Canton, Mi.) :D

http://www.aquamix.com

Bri
01-11-2003, 02:24 PM
Hi
If you don't have another shower, how about just using it and forget about the sealer? Does sealer help? Yes...can you get along without it? Yes.;)

davem
01-11-2003, 02:24 PM
Ok, OK, I'll quit mentioning my troubles finding Aquamix. Sheesh. :rolleyes: :D

John Bridge
01-11-2003, 02:40 PM
I would seal. You can use the Aquamix right now and be showering by the end of the weekend. Canadians don't need sealer because they have sheets of ice that protect the walls of their showers.

:p

ackerberg
01-11-2003, 04:44 PM
What's the difference between Aquamix's "Grout Sealer" and the "Sealer's Choice 15 Gold"? Which is better for a kitchen floor, shower stall, etc.?

John Bridge
01-12-2003, 10:38 AM
Hi Ackerberg, Welcome :) Give us a first name, will ya?

The grout sealer is waterproof and can create quite a mess on the surface of the tiles if you aren't careful. It's okay if you want to be really careful as you seal the grout.

Sealer's Choice, on the other hand, is vapor transmissible. You can smear it over everything with a sponge and dry off the tiles with a clean rag. In a shower situation it also allows moisture that might become trapped in the walls and floor to escape.

:shades:

Bri
01-12-2003, 10:42 AM
But John..if the joints are sealed...how does the moisture get behind the tile in the first place?;) :rolleyes:

John Bridge
01-12-2003, 11:16 AM
Well, if it's a mud job, I might have put the moisture there myself. :D

Actually, this is an area in which I am currently arguing with Dave Gobis. He says glazed tiles are waterproof on their faces. I say some are and some aren't. I think we've all experienced how grout cakes up in a hurry on the surface of soft bisque tiles like white bodied four-and-a-quarter. On the other hand, we've all had trouble getting grout to set up even on the surface of very dense porcelains unless there's a breeze or a fan blowing on it.

Why is that if all glazes are waterproof? I'll stipulate that most glazes repel water readily, and some are certainly waterproof, but not all.

In a shower, I recommend sealing everything with one of the new vapor transmissible sealers. Let the material itself decide whether it needs the sealer or not.

ackerberg
01-12-2003, 08:23 PM
Hi John,
According to the technical bulletins I downloaded from Aqua Mix, both the Grout Sealer and Sealers Choice 15 Gold allow vapor transmission. So what is the advantage of one over the other? Have you used them both?

Scooter
01-12-2003, 08:37 PM
Dave just authored an article in JLC about the top ten tile screw ups. Sealing was not one of them.

John Bridge
01-13-2003, 08:10 PM
I used the grout sealer in my own shower. If I had it to do over, I'd use Sealer's Choice. It's much more user friendly. Plus, it holds up longer.

phughes200
01-13-2003, 08:45 PM
John,

I had the same question. This is the reply I got from technical support at Aquamix (you were right, they are responsive).

"We must add that the Grout Sealer is specifically designed for sealing grout joints around ceramic tile installations. It has two key attributes that that the Sealer's Choice does not that makes it more successful for sealing grout joints. 1) It leaves a thin surface skin. The grout joints will still accumulate dirt requiring periodic scrubbing to clean. This surface skin will help hold the dirt and other contaminants more at the surface level allowing it to be scrubbed off easier. 2) The Grout Sealer has more elasticity which allows it to expand and retract with the grout joint. This is especially key in shower areas where the grout is prone to hot and cold temperatures. "

In the past, everyone here recommends Sealer's Choice. I like the 15 year life vers the 1 year for the grout sealer. Any thoughts?

Philip

lbonham
06-13-2006, 06:52 PM
I hired a general contractor to retile my shower. He did this about 3 months ago. First I noticed that he grouted the corners and floor edging then he caulked over the top of them. A month or so later I had tiles popping off the floor. Now the caulk is coming out of the corners again and tiles are coming off the floor. His response is that it must be the grout he used. Then he said that all showers are caulked in the corners and grout is not used in the corners (?). In reading the forum it looks like it's suggested to seal the grout, he never did this.

Do you grout or caulk the corners and floor edging? why are my floor tiles comign up? Did I get taken to the cleaners?

Thanks
LaMont

mledwards
06-14-2006, 12:41 PM
Sorry to catch a ride on this thread...however, it appears I should use the Sealers Choice 15 on my Ayers Rock porcelain tile and grout in the tub surround since I unfortunately set them with that "premixed thinset"? If I understand correctly this would help with any possible moisture behind the tiles and would be easier to seal the back wall that is done in 2x4 mosaics with 1/8 groutlines. I will be grouting Fri/Sat and sealing 3-4 days later. Probably using some type of poly sanded grout. I was going to use aquamix or that Impreg Pro...
Thanks all,
Manya