building the curb [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : building the curb

kujo
01-10-2003, 04:54 PM
Hello all. We've replaced a tub, tiled the surround & the floor in the guest, now feeling bold enough to tackle the master bath. Our plans were to partially wall the front of a walk-in shower until we saw the glass block pic here on the site & THAT'S what we want to try.

Should we plan the slight slope to the entire curb or is there something different we need to do to accomodate the area where the glass block sits?

Also, I assume we toenail the 2x4s of the curb into the studs on the adjacent walls .... do we bolt the bottom one into the existing concrete subfloor? If not how do we secure it?

TIA

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
01-10-2003, 07:10 PM
Hi Kujo, Welcome. :) What part of Texas?

I think I did the shower you like, and I'll tell you it's a fairly advanced project. Incorporating glass block into a shower is not an easy thing to do for a pro. I'm not saying you can't do it. I'm saying it's going to be a lot more difficult and time consuming than re-doing a tub surround.

John Bridge
01-10-2003, 07:15 PM
And here's a shot of the wall on one end of the shower. The shower is over 8 feet wide with a glass wall on each end that is about 3 feet wide, wide enough that not a lot of water escapes into the bathroom. The walls are free at top and one side. They are anchored only to one wall and the curb. The bottom row of blocks is mudded into the rough curb. The top of the curb is tiled only between the two block walls.