grout at joint again [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : grout at joint again

mahnrut
01-09-2003, 10:15 PM
I tried to find a posting where someone said that an economical way to seal the gap between a wall tile and a granite counter is to grout it and then remove some of the grout at a 45 degree angle and caulk the gap. Is this correct as I am just about to ask our tiler to do that. I think he is planning to grout this joint.

Sponsored Links

Jason_Butler
01-09-2003, 10:58 PM
That joint will most likely crack at some time . A color matched sanded caulk would proabably work better since it would remain flexible

Jason

Bill Vincent
01-10-2003, 12:11 AM
Jason's absolutely right, but DON'T let your contractor grout it first. Reason being, that if you grout first, you lose the "anchor" for the caulk. With just a skim coat of caulk on top, sooner or later, it's going to peel off.

tileguytodd
01-10-2003, 07:22 AM
Actually Bill, that sanded caulk sticks to damn near anything and someday if you want to remove it,you'll find out you'l wish you had one of those genies in a bottle :)

If he grouted it,dont fret to much.Sanded caulk is(as monty python would say) And now for something completely differant :)