old mastic removal advice [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : old mastic removal advice

tony d
03-10-2007, 08:29 AM
hi everyone,

i pulled up the old ceramic tile from the bathroom floor with an electric chipper, tiles came up fast, but there is alot of old mastic still on the plywood, i wan't to get as much off as possible. any suggestions of removing the old mastic without doing too much damage to the plywood? i was scraping with a 4" stiff scraper ( not a razor ) wasn't getting too much off. any suggestions? thanks tony......

Sponsored Links

ddmoit
03-10-2007, 08:55 AM
Hey Tony,

Are you going to re-tile that floor? If' it's not too big an area, maybe it would make sense to replace that top layer of plywood with some new stuff.

tony d
03-10-2007, 09:06 AM
i'm going to put down another sheet of 3/8" over that ply, is the correct thing to do, is get up as much of the old mastic as possible? after that 3/8" i'm going with ditra and 12x12 ceramic tiles

MudMaker
03-10-2007, 10:02 AM
Howdy Tony,
Is it Mastic that's on the floor or thinset?
What Ply is on the floor? Did ya do a Deflecto? :)
The rest sounds good if'n your floor structure is good...

tony d
03-10-2007, 10:29 AM
hi frank,

there is 3/4" ply on top of the joist, my deflecto is L / 480, alot of old mastic still on top of the 3/4" ply. i'm going to put down the 3/8" over that 3/4", is it nessesary too remove all that old mastic or get it as best i can by scraping and put down the 3/8" over that? i want to do the right thing. thanks......

ddmoit
03-10-2007, 10:36 AM
I'm not a subfloor pro, but I would be concerned about voids between the plywood created by the bumps of any mastic that remained. Probably not as big of a deal as voids under CBU though.