Travertine Thinset Questions [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Travertine Thinset Questions

johnnyaico
03-09-2007, 08:32 PM
Hi,

I'm installing travertine in a small powder room. The tiles are a Versailles pattern consisting of about 8 tiles on a 12X12 sheet varying in size of 1.5x1.5 to 4x6. I have a couple of questions:

1) What sort of thinset should I use? I called Custom Building and they said to use Flex Bond-White, but I can't find it anywhere (for example, HD only has Flex Bond in Gray). Is Versa Bond - White okay? Any other suggestions?

2) What trowel notch size should I use for this quasi-mosaic pattern? Is 1/4 X 1/4 X 1/4 okay?

By the way, it's for the floor.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

muskymike
03-09-2007, 08:34 PM
Hi Johnny, the Versabond will be fine. Use a 1/4" notch trowel.

johnnyaico
03-09-2007, 09:29 PM
Thanks Mike, While you were responding, I was editing my question to say that the installation will be on the floor. Does that make a difference in your answer, or still the same? Thanks, again.

muskymike
03-09-2007, 11:04 PM
Yep.

irish tileguy in michigan
03-09-2007, 11:43 PM
what mike said , versabond and 1/4 trowel.

jadnashua
03-10-2007, 01:42 PM
Maybe a much bigger, unasked, unanswered question is have you verified the floor is adequate to support a natural stone tile? What is the floor, if it is not a slab, what is the construction of the joists, subfloor, etc? Regardless of the thinset used, this can make or break the final installation. Note, the actual size of the room has nothing to do with the suitability of the floor, it is the structure under that portion of the house.