Is a transition really needed? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Is a transition really needed?

Tyler Alvis
03-09-2007, 04:31 PM
I got a concrete bathroom floor and hardwood hallway. Top of concrete floor = Top of hardwood floor. I was lucky enough in the layout to have the final tiles (tile edge) along the doorway to line up with the edge of concrete. Is it wrong not to use one of those metal transiton pieces that caps the tile edge? Thanks for any replies.

Sponsored Links

ddmoit
03-09-2007, 04:38 PM
Hi Tyler,

So, the concrete is level with the hardwood. That makes the tile higher than the hardwood, right? And no tile or grout is touching the wood? What does the edge of that tile look like?

MHI
03-09-2007, 04:40 PM
Hi Tyler,

You don't need to use a metal edge, but I think you should use something.

I would use a wood reducer. Either ready made, or custom cut out of the same wood as the floor.:)

Scottish Tile and Stone
03-09-2007, 07:21 PM
Im with matt, you dont want to see a raw edge of tile.

wannaBpro
03-09-2007, 08:36 PM
Tyler...also remember that wood moves. If you don't leave a gap...you could bind the wood and break a tile. The transition is meant to cover that gap. Randy.

Tyler Alvis
03-10-2007, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. The tile is a porcelin. Its rough (rock like look) with rounded/jagged edges. I don't think it will look bad. No raw cuts will be seen at transition. The tile won't be touching any part of of hardwood, so movement is not an issue. I'm just wondering if the grout will hold up? Once again, thanks everyone.

ddmoit
03-10-2007, 08:53 AM
One other thing Tyler,

The edge of that tile probably isn't meant to be exposed. It stands a good chance of getting dinged up if you leave it like that. I like the wood transition idea that Matt mentioned.