Possible to tile over linoleum? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Possible to tile over linoleum?

MELK
03-09-2007, 12:14 PM
What options do I have besides scraping over 30 year old linoleum from my kitchen floor? I have removed one layer of 12x12 peel and stick tile and now i'm left with a VERY sticky floor and discovered a sheet of linoleum. I'm also concerned about any asbestos or lead in the linoleum so I'm not sure if I want to pull it up. We will be tiling three rooms (saltillo) that conect together so I wanted an even/level finish. The two other rooms will be stripped down to the concrete subfloor.

Thanks again and great site!!

Sponsored Links

Rd Tile
03-09-2007, 12:41 PM
Remove it.:)

Dave Taylor
03-09-2007, 12:58 PM
What Jerry (Rd Tile) says, Mel.

If you are concerned about asbestos.... surf for a local asbestos tester in your area and have the flooring material tested.

Else..... don't raise dust, wear a good mask and keep everything sprayed down with a mist of water while you work.

Rd Tile
03-09-2007, 01:02 PM
Who's Jerry? :scratch: :scratch:

It's Richie. :moon:

Dave Taylor
03-09-2007, 05:38 PM
Who's Jerry? It's Richie.
:x: It's hell to git's old.

See now Frank. If'n you jest' used the "User CP" menu like we tell everyone else I wouldn't suffer these senior moments so often :)

jadnashua
03-09-2007, 06:17 PM
True linoleum does not contain asbestos, but the adhesive holding it down could.

Mike2
03-09-2007, 10:04 PM
I don't know about "true linoleum" Jim or even how to identify true linoleum but...according to the EPA website click here (http://www.epa.gov/asbestos/pubs/ashome.html#3), common household products that might have contained asbestos in the past include:

RESILIENT FLOOR TILES (vinyl asbestos, asphalt, and rubber), the backing on VINYL SHEET FLOORING, and ADHESIVES used for installing floor tile.

P.S. Given your concerns, I'd get it tested Melk. In my area they are about $75 with a couple days turnaround. You can even do it by mail. If having trouble finding a local asbestos/lead testing facility, ask any realtor.

:)

MudMaker
03-09-2007, 10:10 PM
Sumbody say Frank?? :gerg:

jadnashua
03-10-2007, 01:38 PM
Linoleum, noun. A durable, washable material made in sheets by pressing a mixture of heated linseed oil, rosin, powdered cork, and pigments onto a burlap or canvas backing. Linoleum is used as a covering especially for floors.

No asbestos. No plastics. Coming back in favor as a durable, green (ish) flooring material. As mentioned, though, the adhesive COULD contain asbestos.

jay f
03-10-2007, 03:03 PM
Can you tile over it? Heck yes you can (insert installation instructions from big box store here :suspect: )! Would any respectable professional with any sense of professionalism do it? NEVER!!! :stick: