Ugly Brick Fireplace [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Ugly Brick Fireplace

leahsc20
03-09-2007, 11:52 AM
Hi, We are about to close on a beautiful house, but the living room has a floor to ceiling ugly brick fireplace that I hate. I want to refinish it with some sort of natural looking stone finish. Can I do that without spending a fortune?

Sponsored Links

Rd Tile
03-09-2007, 12:56 PM
What do you consider a fortune, who's doing the work, what type of stone, I have no idea.:)

George K
03-09-2007, 01:38 PM
I have an ugly floor to ceiling fireplace. I may have used mine twice in 30Years.
Consider some other choices before throwing money at it. Are you really, really going to use it, or will it be like a hot tub or back yard trampoline, after a couple of splashes or bounces, it just sits there.

You could replace it with a floor to ceiling light weight artificial stone or tile wall. Maybe even put a heat efficient wood stove in front of that wall.

You could replace it with a set of attractive patio doors. Wouldn't that let some light in. It would of course depend on the view out the doors.

Don't be afraid to think outside the box. Get some magazines and find a picture of what you want and shop it around. You have a lot of variables there when it comes to cost. You are going to have to nail down the details.

George

Scottish Tile and Stone
03-09-2007, 03:28 PM
I think he just wants to refinish the ugly brick , not knock it down.

leahsc20
04-02-2007, 03:40 PM
I want to do something natural looking. Like some sort of stone. I think I like the smooth rocks or stacked stone look. I'm pretty easy considering I think anything would look better than the brick.

MudMaker
04-02-2007, 05:20 PM
Leah,

Welcome to the Forum.... :D
Ya hafta consider that anything you add to the brick is gonna take away from the hearth. You can build that out too of course...

I'm pretty easy

It's a good thing you're among friends..... ;)

brendon700
04-02-2007, 05:49 PM
i have your answer..i was in your place a few months back. i baught a house with a ubly slate fireplace..i done some research and come up with suncrest stone. they offer many types of stone veners.i used the madison county stack .it cost me 3.50 a sq. and it is simple for the do it yourselfer to install. check it out suncreststone.com.

leahsc20
04-05-2007, 08:56 AM
Thanks a bunch Brendon, I checked out their website and they have tons of wonderful options. I might get back to you when its installation time for some tips.