Installing Shower Drain [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Installing Shower Drain

Othniel13
03-08-2007, 06:50 PM
Newbie to the forum and I am knee deep into a project that I took on based on your great site. But I am afraid that everyone made me a bit overconfident. So, I need some help, if you please!

Ok, so I have searched and searched as to the proper way to install a shower drain.

I have an Oatey "PVC Drain for Tile Shower Bases" No. 42213. This is a 3 piece drain set up.

I have installed a brand new sub floor and have complete access to the underside (had to also redo the entire drain lines back to the stack).

So - 2 questions :scratch: -

1. Do I need to secure the bottom piece of the drain to the 3/4" plywood sub floor (and if so, how??? adhesive, caulk, what?)

2. Do I need to support the trap beneath it?

I am installing a mortar based tile shower pan, replacing a terrible install that most likely NEVER held water! But that's another story. :bang:

I look forward to many more posts during this project... so thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links

Davestone
03-08-2007, 09:09 PM
You can use a couple screws or roofing nails around the bottom plate just attach them at the edge of the bottomm plate not through it.Here's a link to past threads about this...http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=103723