Particle Board... [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Particle Board...

bigfrank549
03-08-2007, 01:23 PM
underlayment in a 30 year old house bathroom. Owners originally had PB with ceramic on it & seemed to hold up well for 20 yrs. Then tore out tile, installed padded vinyl sheet good. Then carpeted over it. BUT they now are DETERMINEDto put ceramic back over the PB underlayment. Due to monetary restrictions & the impossibility of raising the finished height with backerboard. What is in your opinion the best way to proceed?
All opinions seem to point to using ARDEX X7G Plus thinset. Consensus being that this is a great product & that the german(european made) cements are superior to those mfd here (?) What are your opinions/comments on this dilemma? :bonk:

Sponsored Links

jadnashua
03-08-2007, 04:55 PM
If they are planning on paying you for this, pass on the job.

MudMaker
03-08-2007, 05:51 PM
Frank,
Welcome to the Forum....

I'll be Frank with you...... Don't put any tile over particleboard...
Disaster waiting to happen..... :yeah:

muskymike
03-08-2007, 10:00 PM
I'll let Frank be Frank with you. :lol2: I just did a job that they had glue down carpet on PB. I tore it out and it came out in crumbs. The stuff is junk. Remove it or forget about the job.

Hamilton
03-08-2007, 10:32 PM
Hi Frank
Even if the German engineered polymer modified super thinset is actually
better than what we have here, which i doubt because all the big companies
are international..... The partical board is still about as close to bonding
tile to dirt as your gonna get. If they insist on leaving it, head for the door.
This kind of installation is trouble down the road. Best of luck.

Tool Guy - Kg
03-09-2007, 02:00 AM
I'll be Frank, Musky, Jim, and Jack with you. It's not in your best interest to try to proceed with this. This is a well understood problem that you can't tip-toe around with a different mortar.

If you can't install the job correctly, you aren't giving them value for their money.

:)