Any tips on making floor flat w/ heat wires & thinset? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Any tips on making floor flat w/ heat wires & thinset?

NiceTom
03-08-2007, 11:41 AM
Hi all,
I've installed heatings cables and thinset over them, but I'm concerned about making the floor flat enough so that the ridges from the plastic strapping don't read thru on the mosaic tile. Right now, the thinset is mostly at the top of the wires, but is high all along the strapping every 30" (along with some lumps and thick spots I'll be chipping back down). Any tips? Big drywall knife? Long, straight board to use as a screed?

I'd thought about using SLC, but the floor has a 1½" slope over 11', so I didn't think that was feasiable. My plan "B", is to spread alittle more thinset in the low spots and let it dry, and repeat as necessary

Sponsored Links

Wassworks
03-08-2007, 01:13 PM
Tom, Welcome aboard. Why does your floor have a 1.5" slope over 11'?

Wassworks
03-08-2007, 01:20 PM
Tom, Welcome aboard. Why does your floor have a 1.5" slope over 11'?

NiceTom
03-08-2007, 02:37 PM
Because it's a 90 year-old house. My guess would be that the huge cast iron tub, and a thick mortar wall put a bow in the joists.

NiceTom
03-08-2007, 02:40 PM
double-post

John Bridge
03-08-2007, 06:41 PM
Hi Tom, :)

The idea of using a screed is a good one. I don't know what else to do at this point. I've done it with thin set a bunch of times. Keep the mix very loose and don't worry about the bubbles. :)