Materials for building a movement joint [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Materials for building a movement joint

Andy Frechtling
03-08-2007, 07:31 AM
I'm installing 16 inch square porcelain tiles, and plan on using Mapei's Ultracontact mortar. My room has a good cement slab, no crakcs, but the longest dimension is 33 feet. The room is 24 feet wide.

I probably need one movement joint crosswise and maybe one lengthwise. Does anyone know of a source for movement joint filling? Mapei sells a caulk that matches ther grout, but this should be applied over a "material that allows for contraction and expansion. For floor applications, urethane, neoprene, or polysulfide are most often used in traffic areas and silicone sometimes where traffic is not a concern. Traffic areas require a sealant with a shore hardness of 35 or greater." according to TCA.

So what's a source for approximately 1/4 inch thick "urethane, neoprene, or polysulfide"? I plan on filling the joint with that and then caulking over it to produce a "grout line" look.

Or I could use one of the Schlueter system premade joints. Prblem is, they definitely don't match the look of the grout lines.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Andy

Sponsored Links

ddmoit
03-08-2007, 07:42 AM
Welcome to the forum, Andy.:)

Here's a decent primer on expansion joints. Some of your questions might be answered here:

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1976

Davestone
03-08-2007, 09:12 PM
That's a good link, but as far as actual products try Tamko.