travertine help [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : travertine help

brendon700
03-07-2007, 07:41 PM
hi guys.my name is brendon and i need your help. i plan on tiling a 200 sq ft sunroom with 18x18 travertine.the floor is a concrete slab with a few dips and bumps. i am going to try to grind out the humps and float out the dips before tiling.my question is about setting the tile...what size grout line looks and will work best with this tile and do i need to preseal the tile before grouting.if so do you know of a good brand at lowes or hd that will work with this tile. i will also take to heart any other usable info on setting travertine. thanks guys

Sponsored Links

Scottish Tile and Stone
03-07-2007, 07:46 PM
The quality of the stone should dictate the grout line. I like to use a 1/16" if its a quality stone. I would preseal before grouting. HD carries a good one. I think they have the 511 impregnator. Or just buy it from this site. Are you mud setting or using thinset? If thinset, make sure its medium bed.

muskymike
03-07-2007, 10:39 PM
Hi Brendon, welcome! What Scott said. :)

brendon700
03-08-2007, 06:45 PM
i will be using thinset...could you explain what a mediam thinset is. i have never used itbefore

Paul Denison
03-08-2007, 07:24 PM
Check my thread out.

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46056

Hamilton
03-08-2007, 10:43 PM
Hi Brendon.
A medium bed thinset is a polymer fortified thinset designed to be applied
a bit thicker than standard thinsets. You will be able to use a 1/2"x1/2"
or 3/4"x3/4" trowel if needed to accomodate the variance in surface
irregularities. A medium bed thinset will not sag and shrink as much either
if mixed properly.

treausnbrae
03-09-2007, 12:34 AM
hello i set trav all day everyday. i always use a medium bed thinset (custum building products, marble and granit mix) this is a home depot product. this thinset is mildew resintant and modified for larger tile. It has a larger size sand i use for a 1/16-1/32 spacing. once i have the tile level and flush with the tile around it, I tape it togeather with masking tape 2". make sure u clean the grout lines out and take the tape off the next day. start at the highest point in the floor with a 1/2x1/2 trowl. make it level both ways. then repat and stay level add more mud when needed and less when needed. thinset should always be pushed out if not pushed out and are too low, pull up and add more thinset. good luck

westileatverizonnet
Wes Drake

brendon700
03-19-2007, 06:57 PM
well guys i got all my travertine set. i am gettign ready to grout. i plan on presealing with 511 impreg. after i grout it can i then seal it with a highgloss sealer. i seem to like the wet look on the travertine. is there any cons of doing this also does anyone know a good brand that hd or lowes sells.thanks for all the help..

Panthera
03-19-2007, 07:06 PM
I bought a new home 18 months ago, i wish i had stone tile installed in my master bath, my friend did hers on her own, she is fearless tho when taking on such project & seems to have a nack for it, I tho feel intimidate by such a ontaking on my own, mainly when it comes to laying the tiles in a oddly or tight space & cutting them to fit correctly, if i had that part done i feel i could complete the rest not to much trouble. But natural stone or travertine im sure requires special cutting tool & process so it isnt cracked in the process. Tiles arent inexpensive especially the ones I liked like roman style with the rough finish to it.Any advice you could give me I would sincerely appreciate. Thank you Panthera

TJ
03-19-2007, 07:15 PM
Brendon,
Is your travertine polished or honed? If it is honed, can you please post a picture of it? I'm very curious about how sealer looks on honed travertine.
Thanks, TJ

BTW - if nobody has mentioned it before, we love pictures here!

brendon700
03-19-2007, 07:54 PM
truthfully i am not sure what kind i have. i would say that it is polished if i had to guess.it has a smooth dull finish. i got it at my local hd .they had a special order of it for 196 a sq. on the box it says natural travertine...while i was cleaning it as i set i sorta got to liking the wet look .thats why i want to seal it with a high or simi gloss.i will get some pics when i get done

jadnashua
03-19-2007, 08:17 PM
Check first, I'm not sure the impregnating sealer will work if there is already a sealer on the tile.

Davy
03-19-2007, 08:27 PM
Brendon, adding to what Jim said, there are two different impregnating sealers, one is a natural looking sealer (like the 511) and there is also an enhancer type that brings out the colors of the stone (more in some types than others). If you use the 511, it will seal it off and not let another sealer enhance the stone. If you like the colors when it's wet, use an enhancer before and after grouting. I wouldn't use a topical "wet look" type sealer on it myself. :)

brendon700
03-19-2007, 08:31 PM
i have not sealed the tile yet, i was told on this site to use 511 as a grout release. i was wondering if i could then seal again with a gloss sealer after i grout.another question...can i sand the edges of the tile to get the little lippage that i do have off

Davy
03-19-2007, 08:38 PM
I would use one sealer for both applications. The 511 is fine for a grout release if you want it left natural, which is what we usually do. Be sure you like the wet look, this is something we usually don't do. You say it has a dull look, that sounds like honed to me. If you like the wet look maybe you should have gotten polished stone, or maybe have it polished. Experiment with some scrap tiles. :)