Caulk at base of shower problems [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Caulk at base of shower problems

Crash11
03-07-2007, 11:19 AM
I'm so fed up with this issue that I'm about to just shove a bunch of grout in this transition and be done with it. My question is, why won't my caulk stay intact at the bottom of my shower? By bottom I mean where the walls meet the shower floor. I've tried the caulk that is textured to look like grout, and I've tried 100% silicon smooth caulk, neither has been able to "stick" for more than about a month. It's only the bottom too. All my caulk lines from wall to wall have held up just fine.

Sponsored Links

bikemike
03-07-2007, 11:26 AM
Jimmy,

I built a traditional mortar/PVC liner shower floor years ago, used the textured caulk that matched the grout (junk) and had the same problem. Then I replaced it with 100% silicone, but first stuck a dehumidifier in the shower and waited a few days for it to completely dry out.

I suspect your problem might be that the pan contains moisture when you apply the caulk?

Mike2
03-07-2007, 11:29 AM
For starters Jimmy, in order for it to stick and stay put, everything down there has to be squeeky clean AND dry as a bone. Then after application the specified wait time before use must be followed. You do all that?

How wide and deep of a space are you dealing with?

:)

Crash11
03-07-2007, 02:14 PM
Heck no I didn't do all that. I guess I'll try again.