Cutting Door Jambs [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Door Jambs

CottageMaker
03-07-2007, 09:10 AM
Hi:

I've got a quick question on cutting door jambs. My carpenters beat me to the installation and put up two cherry doors. Instead of notching out the door jambs, they notched out my durock. :bang:

The floor will have 1/2" durock and then tile, so I am guessing that the door jamb should be notched instead of just straight cut so that it won't be so high on the carpet side.

What is the best way to cut out a notch in an installed door jamb?

Any other ideas, or advice on this would also be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim

Sponsored Links

Shaughnn
03-07-2007, 09:21 AM
Tim,
I often flip a tile over and slide a piece of cardboard underneath. Then I'll use a fine-tooth flexible saw held flat to the tile to undercut the jambs. This will guage your cut to the thickness of the tile plus about 1/8" for thinset.
Why are you using 1/2" material on the floor? You could have reduced the transition by using 1/4" Hardibacker or 1/4" Wonderboard or gone even lower using Schluter's DITRA, which is about 1/8".
Best of luck,
Shaughnn

CottageMaker
03-07-2007, 09:37 AM
I know, I know, I know. :(

I installed the 1/2" on bad advice. I now know that I should/could have used 1/4". I also now know where better to get tiling advice!!! :)

MudMaker
03-07-2007, 10:12 AM
Tim,
The 1/2" isn't a real problem, just costs more and raises the floor up another 1/4" unnecessarily and adds no strength to the floor... Other than that, No real harm done...
You want to cut the jamb just before ya tile so's that you can get a good fit between the jamb bottom and the tiles surface - makes it look nicer..
Follow Shaughnn's advice - live long and prosper... :cool:

CottageMaker
03-07-2007, 10:49 AM
So you guys are just saying to make the cut straight across, and not worry about making a stepped notch.

Mike2
03-07-2007, 10:55 AM
I would definitely make a stepped notch. Cut the jamb using the saw as Shaughnn described but only up to where the notch will end. Then come along with a sharp wood chisel and finish it up. Note that the depth of the notch doesn't have to be the full thickness of the jamb material. A 1/4" + deep will do to trick. You can cut the piece of tile to fit in there.

:)

CottageMaker
03-08-2007, 08:11 AM
Piece of cake.

I never ever thought there would be a time that I said I appreciated that something was made out of particle board. Cutting the line up to the step with a jamb saw and then notching out with a sharp chisel worked easier than I imagined. This was especially true with just having to cut through the veneer and then chisel away the particle board core. Easy and looks great.
Thank you so much for your responses.

On to tiling!

MudMaker
03-08-2007, 06:05 PM
Tim,
I'm glad Mike came in to tell you about not cutting all the way through the entire jamb..

Ya just don't want to cut more off the jamb than necessary... Creates a hole that ya just gotta fix... Glad you did well with the jamb..

Hey, Go to the UserCP above and put yer name in under edit signature, saves time lookin fer it.. :)