Tiling to plywood [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Tiling to plywood

figaro
03-06-2007, 11:40 PM
I am getting ready to do my first kerdi shower and possibly (considering) using ditra on the bathroom floor.

If I were to use modified thinset to glue my tile directly onto plywood on the face of the whirlpool tub surround, would I be eternally damned to the fires of bad tiling hell, or would it be OK? The previous installer had actually used mastic and it had held up (so far). And I was just going to use thinset to glue the wall tiles around the tub surround to sheetrock. So I thought why couldn't I use modified thinset to glue to the tub face? If not, should/could I use ditra?
I have done tons of backsplashes just using mastic on sheetrock. What's the dif if I use thinset on sheetrock AND vertical ply?

I suppose I should use either ditra or cbu to the tub deck?

Thanks

Sponsored Links

muskymike
03-07-2007, 01:23 AM
Hi Figaro, either use CBU on the face of the tub or drywall with Kerdi on it. You don't want to tile directly to ply. Use thinset too in wet locales.

Davy
03-07-2007, 08:01 PM
I'm with Musky, I wouldn't tile directly to the plywood. Sheetrock, Kerdi or CBU will work better. :)