Splicing into ABS [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Splicing into ABS

Jim in Oly. WA
03-06-2007, 11:02 PM
I have existing 3" ABS that I need to splice into for my shower drain.
What is the best way?
Can you cement both ends of the T-sweep into the existing pipe , or do you need to use a rubber coupling to make it work.
This splice is going to be concealed and between the 1st and secound floor.

Sponsored Links

muley
03-06-2007, 11:16 PM
You can use a Tee so long as the angle has the correct flow, but you also need to consider a trap and vent stack as well. Not sure by your post if these are an issue or not.

Mike2
03-06-2007, 11:32 PM
Can you cement both ends of the T-sweep into the existing pipe , or do you need to use a rubber coupling to make it work
Jim, I doubt you'll be able to cement both ends in place. The only way you could do that is if that 3" vertical line, once cut, can be spread apart. Generally this is not the case. Plan to use a rubber coupling on one end of the "T". You are going to use a Sanitary tee, correct?

:)

Jim in Oly. WA
03-07-2007, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the reply.

The 3" drain alrady has a vent stack and I needed to take out the old T that was there. I will be puttin a P trap under shower drain.

Sweeping T, is a sanitary T right. Just so it is sweeing to the flow out of the house.

I just was hoping for a "trick of the trade" as I do not trust rubber couplings that will be covered up. Only access to it if it leaks will be the sheetrock ceiling, which of course will be ruined if it leaks so will need to come out anyway.

Thanks

ddmoit
03-07-2007, 10:41 AM
I buried a Fernco coupler under my basement shower that connects new PVC to the existing iron sewer pipe. I'm sure many other things in my house will fail long before that coupling does. Have you had a bad experience with them?

Mike2
03-07-2007, 10:47 AM
Jim.

Not knowing your exact layout but... if that 3" line runs up into the attic you could cut it in half up there. Doing this might allow you to cement the san tee in place. Then your rubber Fernco or Mission coupling is much higher in the dry vent portion of the stack. Doing all that might put your mind at ease. I doubt you'll have a problem either way.

:)

todd1313
03-07-2007, 12:36 PM
I used Fernco couplings on jobs that are now more than 10 years old. Never had a failure. They are built to last. :tup2:

P.Dieter
03-07-2007, 03:40 PM
Is the 3" line you're cutting into horizontal or vertical? (most seem to be assuming vertical)

The 3" drain already has a vent stack and I needed to take out the old T that was there.

I'm not sure what you mean by this exactly.

(some pictures or a drawing would serve you well in looking for help)

I'm pretty sure a san-t and t-sweep are two different things. I think a t-sweep is what most know as a combo fitting. If you are going from horizontal to horizontal then you need the combo. If the 3" line is vertical than a san-t is fine.

Sometimes the pipes can be angled apart far enough to get the new fitting in and as Mike2 pointed out if we are indeed talking about a vertical stack then purhaps some ceiling access can facilitate not using a furnco (which isn't a big deal unless that Nisqually fault lets loose again)