Floor sloping to drain - general stragegies? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Floor sloping to drain - general stragegies?

Jholmes9
03-06-2007, 06:21 PM
Okay, so my tilesetting experience consists of one shower, one small bathroom floor, one tiny backsplash for a pedastal sink in said bathroom, and one hearth for a woodburning stove. So far, so good. Now my brother wants to move his laundry from his cave-like basement to an available room on the second floor. In anticipation of the day that something goes wrong and a lot of water hits the floor in that second-floor laundry, he'd like to put in a tile floor and slope it towards a drain. Of course, he'd like my help with this. What might be the best way to achieve the slope and the drain in such a situation? Should it be done like a typical shower preslope (of which I've read but not done) or can anyone suggest an easier way?

Sponsored Links

ddmoit
03-06-2007, 06:35 PM
I'm not qualified to answer your question, but I do have a comment. I think it would be much easier and cheaper to greatly minimize the chance of that leak ever happening. Start with a front loader washer that holds a lot less water than a traditional top loader. Set the washer in a specially designed pan, in case it does leak. Use the best hoses you can, and replace them on schedule. With these steps in place, I'd say a leak is no more likely than a leaking copper pipe in an interior wall.

That's what I would tell my brother.

And then I would help him build his floor with drain. :rolleyes: :bang:

MudMaker
03-06-2007, 07:16 PM
Mr. Holmes,
Gotta first name we can use? pewt it in the UserCP above under edit signature.. :)
I'm with Dan on this - I've seen pans under the washers with drains.. Cheap insurance...

Jholmes9
03-07-2007, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the thoughts so far. Hmmm...

Are these pans a mass-produced item or something you'd make?

A flat floor would certainly be easier to deal with.

Mike2
03-07-2007, 12:50 PM
They are mass produced and available for $20 or so. Oatey makes one without a drain fitting http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/52-307-outlet-boxes/washing-machine-pan-624516.aspx . Harvey has one with a 1" pipe fitting for a drain line http://www.wmharvey.com/prod/cat12/pans_stands/washing_pan.php.

I'm betting most washing machine appliance stores either have in stock or could order one up for you. Lowes, Home Depot, ???

:)

irish tileguy in michigan
03-07-2007, 01:20 PM
These pans are designed just for washing machines, lowes and home depot sells them. if your brother is still nervous go with ditra under your tile.