How long should I wait?? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : How long should I wait??

pizzaguy
03-06-2007, 05:59 PM
Newbie here. Great Site. Tons of info, but I didn't see an answer.

I have installed all my tile in a shower, now starting on the grout. I am using a sand based grout. How long should I let it site before the shower can be used?

My plans were waiting two days to let it set and seal it. the sealer recommends letting that sit for 72 hours, so I am looking a good week before it gets wet. Is this enough time?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

Jason_Butler
03-06-2007, 07:18 PM
I'd wait the 2 to 3 days, seal, and then 24 hrs after sealing...

Jason

Dave Taylor
03-06-2007, 07:21 PM
72 hours sounds like a plan to me Pizza. This covers you pretty much regardless of how you built that shower. Pretty much what Jason said.

MudMaker
03-06-2007, 07:47 PM
Hey PizzaGuy,
Welcome to the Forum.. :)
I just luv you guys.... :yeah:

Question, how'd ya do on the tile install?

pizzaguy
03-06-2007, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the help, guys. Install went pretty well. Allot of cutting. I will post some pics here in a couple days. Just moved in yesterday, so the boxes are stacked high. Thanks again.

Tool Guy - Kg
03-06-2007, 10:41 PM
Welcome pizzaguy,

Can we ask what kinna tile you installed and how wide the groutlines are? :)

And if your pizzas are super tasty, can we have a killer pizza recipe? I'm with Frank, I love pizzas! :yummy:

Dave Taylor
03-07-2007, 05:49 AM
Ol' Tonto Goldstein wasn't jest' bein' nosey when he asked you about what kinda' tiles you installed and how wide your grout line is.

This info has a lot to do with grout drying time and overall grout success..... along with lots of other info. IE: What is the makeup of the substrate your tiles are covering (what's underneath em').... how were they affixed (what kinda' thinset or other adhesive was used) and what kinda grout was used, (sanded, un-sanded, epoxy, acrylic or other).

Hope this helps.

pizzaguy
03-07-2007, 09:44 PM
The tile I used was 13x13 glazed porcelain with a 1/4 Mapei keracolor Sand Grout. The base is a pre-slope of portland cement and sand mix. CPE pan liner then base of Portland and sand mix. I used FlorCraft White Premix thinset to install the tiles. I am sure somewhere in there I did a No-No.
I have some Grout that didn't come up all the way. Not haze actual grout on the tile. How do I remove that once it is dry? I don't want to mess up the tile.

Mike2
03-07-2007, 10:00 PM
I used FlorCraft White Premix thinset to install the tiles.

Sorry to say but that wasn't the best choice Pizzaguy. Most mastic products like FlorCraft are not approved for use in a shower or any wet environment. Here's a thread from last month from a member who used FlorCraft mastic in his shower. Four weeks later and the tiles are coming up, mastic is still wet. http://johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46639&highlight=florcraft

:)

pizzaguy
03-07-2007, 10:24 PM
You gota love Menards. I asked the guy about that. The dry stuff said the same thing. He said "you'd be fine, Just let it sit for a couple days." Is there a specific brand I should use? BTW, My first clue should have been that they are selling groceries now. I wished I would have found you guys sooner.

The pizza is Monical's Pizza if anyone has heard of it. Mainly an IL based chain with a few in the west part of IN. Thin crust, Very Good.

Tool Guy - Kg
03-07-2007, 10:28 PM
Sorry to hear about the pre-mixed, pizzaguy. :( Menard's has traditionally been much better than the orage box at giving out advice.

Is it all the tiles? Or just the floor or walls? :)

Mike2
03-07-2007, 10:30 PM
I feel for ya Pizzaguy, I really do. I'd be pixxed beyond belief. :bang:

MudMaker
03-08-2007, 06:20 PM
PizzaGuy,
I know we are havin fun with this but may we have a first name? It makes it a lot more personal... Jes go to the UserCp above and under edit signature put your name so's we don't keep callin ya pizzaguy.. :nod:

Yea, we just don't use any premix stuff here - too many problems..

Monicals you say... Il. and In. you say - any in Chicago? :)

ddmoit
03-08-2007, 06:26 PM
I've had Monical's pizza in Princeton, Illinois.

MudMaker
03-08-2007, 06:30 PM
Well, how good was it? :D

ddmoit
03-08-2007, 06:58 PM
I'm a pretty tough critic when it comes to pizza. It was better than Pizza Hut. I'd eat it again if I was in Princeton. No need to if you're in Chicago though.

:jacked: