4x4 travertine too busy for shower walls? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : 4x4 travertine too busy for shower walls?

amheck
03-06-2007, 11:25 AM
We're shopping for stone for our new master bath and have narrowed it down to 2 stores for the materials. Both are helping us with a design. One store is suggesting to put 4x4 tumbled travertine for the shower walls, the other stores says this is too busy and leaves you with too many grout lines.

I know this may be a personal preference thing, but I thought I'd check in here to see what you guys think. I do like the look, initially, but I don't want this to be something we get sick of later on down the line.

Also, if you guys have any pics of jobs you've done, I'd love to see them. We have a shower, tub deck and face, and the floor to do. Always interested in seeing design ideas.

Also, on a side note, if you guys have any recommendations for stone isntallers in the St. Pete, FL area, I'd be interested in getting their contact info. We've got each of the store's installer lists, but could always use a personaly recommendation from the experts here.

Thanks!
Aaron

Sponsored Links

Brian in San Diego
03-06-2007, 11:34 AM
Aaron,

I think the bigger issue here is maintenance. A tumbled travertine shower requires far more care than ceramic or porcelain. Every little nook and cranny is a breeding ground for mold and bacteria. I don't know, but I don't think it'd be a good idea to spray it down with tilex or bleach and water. Now for the design part. 4x4 is a little small IMO for the entire wall. I think a larger format with 4x4 being brought in to provide a break or as an accent would look great. Go to the album section of the forum for ideas or go to the pro's hangout and check the thread about "craziest design". Lot's of good ideas. If you are up to the challenge of maintaining the shower then go for it. If you want something more maintenance friendly, do what John Bridge recommends...install a tile that can be wiped down after every shower. Yours can be wiped down, but all the nooks in the surface will remain damp.

Brian

Tool Guy - Kg
03-06-2007, 10:00 PM
Hi Aaron,

You're looking for opinions: Go big. Or at least bigger than those little 4x4s. :)

mdnky
03-20-2007, 07:22 PM
You might want to consider Roman Stone. Its a porcelain tile that does a pretty good job of mimicking tumbled travertine. You can get it in 6x6, 12x12, and 18x18 at Lowes in three colors.

I'm using the Noce 6x6 version for my kitchen countertops. Tumbled travertine will find its way on the walls. From the test boards I've done, it can be hard to tell a big difference between the real and fake stuff (from people shown it who didn't know).

tryanythingonce
03-20-2007, 08:01 PM
Aaron~ I'm in agreement here too. Use the 4x4's for accent only. The larger format the better. You will find the porcelain tile to be much more cost effective than the tumbled marble. Use Spectra Lock for that shower and you will never have a grout problem!