Tub Enclosure Access Panel [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Tub Enclosure Access Panel

Captainron
03-06-2007, 10:33 AM
It has been recommended by the plumber (and seems reasonable) to have access to the plumbing for my drop-in soaking tub. Any suggestions on how to build the panel and attach it to the enclosure structure? I have considered a full-width removable panel and a smaller panel designed to be broken away then replaced.

Sponsored Links

JasonSTL
03-06-2007, 12:36 PM
I followed the John Bridge technique and cut a piece of drywall the entire length of my deck (less the piece behind my vanity). Just make sure you cut the drywall so it fits snugly. I also attached a couple of magnets to the framing and back of drywall for added stability. I will be color match caulking the entire perimeter of the deck front, and if I ever need access, I will cut the caulk and remove.
One thing to make sure you do...have the top deck CBU slightly extend/overlap the front panel.

Here's my thread....not much detail...but an example pic.

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43940&page=2&pp=15&highlight=modern

Tool Guy - Kg
03-06-2007, 10:16 PM
Hi Ron,

Awwwwwwwwwrrrrrrrrrr! :complain: I wish the plumber would have waited to drop that tub in until after the tile on the deck was in. Tubs are rarely set at exactly the right height above the deck for the tile to slip under the flange snugly. But on a better note, it looks like the plumber set the tub in a bed of mortar. That's a good thing....hopefully it's nice and level.

Ok, onto your question. I'm not a fan of putting in an access panel on soaking tubs because there is little to go wrong. Maybe the hand-held wand with the armadillo hose could get damaged if it was yanked ahrd enough. But if you really want an access panel, can you cut a hole in the floor to access it from below? :)

Mike Finley
03-06-2007, 11:23 PM
I'd tell the plumber to do his job correctly and employ plumbing methods that virtually eliminate the possibility of leaks ever developing. Access isn't required by code, the plumber needs to understand that and not try to hedge his bets.

IMHO.

wannaBpro
03-07-2007, 09:42 AM
Capt Ron...what Bubba said. You might be able to put a panel in the wall behind also, depending on what/where it is.
Randy.