difference between honed and polished [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : difference between honed and polished

treausnbrae
03-05-2007, 06:54 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm trying to figure out what is exactly honed means. I recently bought a bunch of travertine tiles to do my kitchen and down the hallway and into the bathroom. I have to say i'm a little worried now after reading on this site. But my question is what is honed compared to polished? How do i know what i have and is there any way to change it from polished to honed? I have 4 boys and don't want to regret my tile job after the fact. Thanks everyone....

Sponsored Links

Splinter
03-05-2007, 07:15 PM
Polished= finished with super fine polishing pads leaving a super smooth shiny surface.
Honed= Finished with a rougher grit pad leaving a Matte finish.

Paul Denison
03-05-2007, 08:19 PM
Travertine will scratch, so a scratch on polished will show more so than on honed.

Brian in San Diego
03-05-2007, 09:54 PM
If travertine is polished, I have never seen an example. All the choices I have ever seen for travertine were unfilled or filled and honed. Since travertine is a fragile and porous stone, it seems to me it would be hard to polish. If it's filled first the filling wouldn't polish the same as the stone. When I say it's fragile, that's prior to setting it. Once it's down (if set properly) it seems to take some abuse. I think it could withstand your four boys. They use it in high traffic areas in stores and offices. I think the most important thing is that you enhance or seal it after it's down and mark it on your calendar to apply sealer annually. I'm using StoneTech's enhancer Pro and really like the result.

Brian